Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rng
    Your inverter tell us about that if it is not a thread jack.
    I have a "500"w but would only trust it for a couple of 100w panels in an emergency

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Thank you all very much. You guys are great! +1 for all.
    I realize that we dvxusers come from various locations and diverse types of operations.
    My work is a blend of needs.
    I might need to haul 2-4 crew and gear to an event out of town (wedding, recital, corporate shoot).
    Or have a client sit with me in the Van with a laptop.
    Often it will just be me driving to a simple shoot alone with gear, and maybe 1 crew.
    And sometimes be able to do work in the van on a laptop for certain rush edit situations.
    I've been thinking back through the years of the different scenarios and needs and now trying to come up with a vehicle to better help meet those needs.

I know parking a long and tall vehicle can be a big problem but thankfully I am not in a congested area like LA else I wouldn't consider a tall, long van. There is a chance that I'd be hired to go to a location where it becomes a problem but so far all my jobs have been in places where it's not.

The medium roof height makes parking garages a no-go, but is much easier when loading gear. I'm 6'-3" and my tired back doesn't like hunching down in the low vans anymore
    So it's all about weighing trade-offs and that is why I'm asking you guys for your invaluable input. What I want and what I should get aren't necessarily the same so I'm reading and re-reading all responses.

For instance the long van version would allow my jib to be stored largely assembled which saves a lot of time, but requires a long clear space. Lots to think about.
    I think one of the main objectives is saving time of having to load and re-load gear all the time. I've always had to re-load and empty gear for each job and it would be great to be able to leave some of it in the van.

There is a factory option for an $100 inverter Power Inverter - 12V to 110V. Would you consider that over an aftermarket one? It requires dual heavy duty batteries.
    Last edited by firehawk; 09-05-2017 at 09:47 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    ...There is a factory option for an $100 inverter Power Inverter - 12V to 110V. Would you consider that over an aftermarket one?
    I'm guessing that is going to be a 100-150W inverter. Yes, I might get it. There is the plus that it is built in and since it is low power and low cost, its not a big deal if it isn't everything you want it to be. I have one and I like it. But that is just going to be useful to keep a few small things going like your computer and phones and maybe charging a few batteries. It won't solve your other 110V needs.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I'm guessing that is going to be a 100-150W inverter. Yes, I might get it. There is the plus that it is built in and since it is low power and low cost, its not a big deal if it isn't everything you want it to be. I have one and I like it. But that is just going to be useful to keep a few small things going like your computer and phones and maybe charging a few batteries. It won't solve your other 110V needs.
    Thank you Paul F. Yeah I was thinking it might could serve for laptop use as well as charging camera and drone batteries and maybe powering a couple LED lights in a pinch.

5. Collapse Details
    I've got a transit LWB van (non crew version) and my interior gets really beat up from gear. So the crew version will fare even worse. I'd make sure to put down mats or sound blankets if you want to keep it halfway nice.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

6. Collapse Details
    100 watts is not a lot, I'd say laptop or maybe chargers depending on what type of chargers, but not both at the same time without knowing more about the specific charging in use.

One thing to think about... Cars are some of the least secure places to store equipment. Also the environment really sucks, you may rust things at a much faster rate.

7. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    That little inverter isn't going to do much for you at all, aside from charge a laptop and phones. For $100, you could get a couple of the same size from Wal Mart. I would look at something like a 1k watt inverter or larger, especially if you want to run lights.

8. Collapse Details
    If Power is what you are looking for, let me recommend the following.

http://www.goalzero.com/p/424/goal-z...-power-station

Expensive, but very versatile, and quiet.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Rng
    Your inverter tell us about that if it is not a thread jack.
    I have a "500"w but would only trust it for a couple of 100w panels in an emergency
    I don't remember the brand name, but I had it professionally installed by my local car audio shop. The actual inverter itself is behind the back seat, but they installed outlets and the control panel in the bed of the truck at the very back in the sidewall. It's also a "pure sinewave" inverter, which they recommend for running sensitive electronics and things like HMI's.

My truck actually has several factory "AC Outlets" in the cab, but they are for things like laptops and other small things. I've run a battery charger on them a few times, but they definetly aren't strong enough to run any big lights from.

10. Collapse Details
    If you're going to the trouble of building out this big production van, don't be cheaping out on the power inverter. You need 1000w minimum, bolted in place in the vehicle and tied directly into the power system.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast