1. Collapse Details
    Sound card - should I install one?
    I'm using Vegas Pro 13 and now 15 on my i5 6th gen PC, with 24GB ram and GTX970. I've got a Soundblaster Audigy card from an old PC.... is there any reason I should install it instead of using the on-chip audio?

2. Collapse Details
    Isn't that card from about 1997? It was de rigeur at the time. You could very well have driver issues as Creative Audio isn't known to keep up on drivers on older products. I think you are the only one who is going to be able to determine the answer to your question by sticking it in the machine.

I retired mine many many years ago and moved over to using an audio interface but if you are only using self powered speakers and not hooking up phantom powered microphones or outboard hardware and musical instruments you just might want to stick with your internal audio. But really this is a personal call in my view.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks I got the name wrong, it's an X Fi Audio Xtreme card from about 2010. I think I will stick with the inbuilt audio!

4. Collapse Details
    Or an external soundcard like the focusrite 2i2

5. Collapse Details
    Depends on which sound card.

For editing, you want a sound card which will give the audio as it actually is, not audio cleaned up and enhanced like a SoundBlaster card would give you. On-board sound processors tend to do the same thing, though not as well.

You need to hear the actual sound as is, especially with all its warts.

So, you want a sound card meant for the purpose of working with audio, not just listening to audio. For relatively inexpensive solutions, look to M-Audio. They're not top-tier, but they're at least going to let you work with what you need to hear.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

6. Collapse Details
    It looks like the M-Audio 2496 is no longer available. Doesn't look to be compatible with a 64 bit system either.
    Anyone have recommendations for a decent card for monitoring?

7. Collapse Details
    I'm happy with my first-generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Have had it six years or so. Worked on Mac up to macOS 10.11, then I moved it over to my Win 10 machine. Still rolling along. They have several models. Poke around:

https://focusrite.com/usb-interfaces
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you Jim. The 2i2 looks like a good option.
    I do have an M-Audio 2496 card I can pull from an old machine but I just bought a new PC
    so thinking it makes more sense to go with new external hardware vs. older PCI card for a new system.

9. Collapse Details
    Oh. I see. Ya, the external USB boxes seem like a good way to go. Nice to have a volume knob, headphone jack, XLR and 1/4-inch jacks, etc. Double check about compatibility, but it really hasn't been an issue for me.

Also I'd guess that the modern USB audio interfaces from other reliable companies (Mackie, PreSonus, etc) are good too. But the Focusrite boxes work well and that brushed-red housing is just so so sexy...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media