Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by abreu-canedo View Post
    I picked up my FS700R in March of 2014, used, for $5k.

I did enough work with it to pay for the O7Q and RAW license. Since then, I was able to open up to 4K RAW and higher bit-rates and now I was able to do work that was just about on par with folks using a Red Epic. I still use it quite a lot, and that 12bit 4K RAW will still be a viable spec and deliver acceptable results for a while to come.

I don't rig mine for shoulder mount ever, since for me, I think the FS700 goes light and tight easier than it goes shoulder rig...but I know others feel differently. So what I do is I have a very light top handle on the FS700, with a cable running to the O7Q hung on my belt...I got some v-mount to 1/4 20 that I have bolted the female side onto my belt...so I just snap the O7Q onto my belt, and monitor from the little screen. I still get my master exposure on the O7Q, but once I'm exposed for the shot, I operate from the camera LCD screen. I also have a very comfortable shoulder strap on my FS700, so that I can let go of it while I attend to the O7Q. The camera strap also comes in handy as a third stability point and weight distribution when holding it in front of you. Of course, I use very light prime lenses, so that helps.

This is still not as ergonomic as an FS7, but I find it is a good compromise when I think about the price for upgrading. The cable from the camera to the monitor is something you have to be very careful with, but I've shot in protests and in cars, and I still have not had it snag.

So yeah, still a nice camera for it's age, specially considering its price. For $2,500 or $3,000 you can be shooting 4K RAW 12bit, up to 120fps continuous, with internal NDs and decent audio inputs. I'd say that is not bad at all.
    Would love to see a picture of this set up because the only reason I want to upgrade from the fs700 is to get an fs5 for the size. I still might do it if the price is right and I can sell my F3, then have a fs700 and fs5. But really its not a big deal at the end of the day as the fs700 and O7Q+ combo gets the job done and will for a long time.
    Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
    http://www.austinburke.photography/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    FS700+O7Q is still my favourite tool. Love the picture, size, ergonomic. Had to change to RED Dragon becouse of slow motion only. But would be always in my mind

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by abreu-canedo View Post
    For $2,500 or $3,000 you can be shooting 4K RAW 12bit, up to 120fps continuous
    I thought that it can record in 4K RAW 120fps 17-18 seconds only. Something changed lately?

4. Collapse Details
    I believe it's 2k continuous 120/240?
    4k is 4 sec burst

5. Collapse Details
    Oops. Forgot to add, 4k is 120fps for 4 sec burst. I think that is still right

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Oops. Forgot to add, 4k is 120fps for 4 sec burst. I think that is still right
    correct

7. Collapse Details
    I jumped into this camera used a couple years ago and it quickly paid for itself with it's slow mo capabilities. Honestly thank this camera, because it changed my shooting style coming from all the DSLRs.

8. Collapse Details
    FS700 + O7Q rules! I shot B-Roll footage for one of this years oscar nominated shorts. About 35 shots ended up in the movie. A camera was the Alexa :-)

9. Collapse Details
    name the short dude! don't just drop that bomb and leave! ;)
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

10. Collapse Details
    Sad day, but not surprising at all. I managed to pick one up a few months ago for a mere $1500. Had the 4k RAW update, and I already had a Shogun that I mainly bought as a 7" 4k monitor with luts. It's like everything aligned perfectly, since just before I bought the 700r, Atomos announced 4k RAW support from the FS700.

So, I can now do 4k RAW for $2300 bucks. It did take me a few weeks to find somebody who had a top plate in stock for it, and I think I may have got the last wooden camera top plate for the FS700 anywhere in the world. I live in Boise, and it came from Warsaw Poland. ;)

I still have my FS100, and will still be using that, but it's now a B-cam or low light only camera.

Still one heck of a deal. They'll be available on Ebay for some time, but finding replacement stuff for them may start to get a bit difficult.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast