1. Collapse Details
    Phoneography - Beastgrip Pro
    Cool
    Been thinking about this for a little while and caught an auction that seemed like a good deal. Beastgrip Pro, fisheye, wide, DOF v1, and Sony 1.7x tele. It arrived today and I've been unwrapping the pieces and playing with it for about an hour. Initial thoughts are as follows:

#1 I like the grip and how the phone now handles as a camera, just missing a shutter release.

#2 the lenses definitely only work properly on some cameras. I believe it was designed for iPhone and probably works really well with it. I have an LG K20v and the camera must be slightly wider or something, still working this out to remove vignetting with any attachment lens. I also have an older and cheaper LG somethingorother, it works better with the lenses but still not perfect.

#3 all lenses require a close focus diopter to function. The Beastgrip lenses come with what looks like a +12, this is WAY too much for the tele on both phones, but much better on the wide and fish. I do have some cheap sets of +1, +2, +4, +10 that I'll try to work out the tele with. The +10 from the DOF is still too much but going in the right direction.

#4 the grip DOES NOT have a tripod mount centered with the lenses! This will present a small problem when using the DOF, rails, and a follow focus. I'll either build a plate to add this, or attach some aluminum to the center of the lens area to provide the required mount.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, I probably won't have time until next week as I have some motorcycle racing this weekend and need to make sure all my stuff is ready. Hoping to have some multicam stuff recorded when I come back, but probably some bugs to work out of that system too.

Overall I think the grips adds something that is sorely lacking from phoneography and is probably worth it even if you never buy any additional lenses. They do have a 1.33x anamorphic coming this fall, as well as a newer better DOF adapter. This purchase will probably take me down a rabbit hole of different accessory lenses whike I look for ones that work with my phone better, the backup is to digital zoom in a little and hope the image doesn't fall apart.

2. Collapse Details
    Trying to figure out how I can get some pictures of some of the things I'm seeing. But on my LG K20v things are not good! The k20v camera is fairly wide compared to the target iPhone. It has more pincushion than the iPhone. Both of theses things show up as big problems when I put the Sony VCL-HG1737C 1.7x tele converter on. Haven't really gotten back to the wides yet, but moved on to the DOFv1... While it probably works as well as most DOF adapters work, I can't see this as a functional tool. The k20v required an additional +10 diopter (total of +20) to be able to maybe focus on the glass (maybe). Need to check this a little more and probably add another diopter like a +1 or +2 to make sure I'm able to focus properly on the glass screen. Required a little digital zoom to fill the screen. Has a lot of vignetting on the edges of the glass. And of course the same problem as all these DOF adapters, they are dark! Outside or brighter than average office lighting light levels required. This seems to require Filmic Pro, Open Camera will not flip the preview image (or recorded image) the correct way around (at least on Android)

The BeastGrip Pro itself is fairly impressive. Yes it is just a clamp that let's you grab the phone, but it does make it into a more stable platform.

Not done fooling with this yet and I hope to get some pictures soon.

3. Collapse Details
    congrats!

it's always nice to have some new gear in the shop.

i welcome pix of the setup ;-)

be well.

rob
    smalltalk.productions
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

4. Collapse Details
    I have a few pictures taken with the lenses on hand, focus still seems to be a bit of an issue, but probably something that can be overcome for the video parts.

Normal image of my messy office:

normal.jpg

The BeastGrip wide lens - fairly usable

wide.jpg

BeastGrip fisheye

fish.jpg

And the Sony Tele

tele.jpg

The pincushion from the tele will keep it from ever being used, may look for a few other makes to see if this is a trend for all the add on tele lenses.

I'll get stuff from my other phone when I can, the camera is not nearly as good, but the angle of view is tighter and works a little better.

5. Collapse Details
    Got a couple more lenses, really cheap on ebay.
    0911171145 (Medium).jpg

So far I think these might be OK. The wide is just short of a fisheye, still a bit of barrel distortion and some softening and CA out on the edges.
    0911171134a (Medium).jpg

The tele is much better than the Sony, the pincushion is not as bad, no vignetting, probably usable.
    0911171134 (Medium).jpg

Easier to see when pointed at the ceiling tiles. Wide
    0911171135 (Medium).jpg

Tele
    0911171135b (Medium).jpg

Video with C5V is a bit different, the widest camera setting is slightly tighter which might actually help. Still trying to decide if it is worth buying FilmicPro for this phone. I'm pretty sure that there is some pincushion in the camera with no lenses attached and is probably from over correcting the wide lens. So it only makes sense that the tele will exaggerate this problem. Probably still a useful lens but I wouldn't want to frame a person too much past the 2/3 "line" of the image area.

Looks like I'm having some phone alignment issues, have to work on the BeastGrip to make sure the phone sits square and that the lens holder is square.