Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Who knows just what you are shooting, so how can we make recommendations?

I only use direct stereo for background recording.

I do use a shotgun mic shock mounted on my camcorders for most synch sound, next radio mics, then boom mics--either shotguns or super-cardioids. On camera mic's need to be shock mounted, notice I said that twice.

Oops, forgot to mention handheld mics, because I rarely use them; but there are times when they are the only solution. Usually interviews.

One thing that you might find you need is a lapel mic for synched commentary, either wired or wireless work well for that.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
    I should also say that wind is a deal breaker for me. I wish someone would design some kind of mini zeppelin system that sits on a camera. I've used a couple of windjammers on my ntg-3 but wind always finds a way in. The Rode Stero mic appears to have a bit more wind protection, though I can't be sure.
    Not camera mountable but the new smaller blimp alot of pros are using:

http://www.cinela.fr/pianissimo.php?...4g8b0s84nmd3q4

3. Collapse Details
    Rode's stereo video mics have a really nice sound. At least the pro one does. I haven't tried the svmx. But, if you use it on a camera you are operating, you are probably going to ruin the sound whenever you touch anything on the camera itself.

There is another option for stereo mics and that is a mid/side shotgun mic. The AT BP4027 isn't a bad mic as a shotgun and if you record both the midside and the front channel to separate tracks, you can combine them in post if you decide you want a stereo ambience track rather than a directional track. It has it's limitations, but it is an option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12