Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    On a side note, anyone ever figure out how to quickly switch between stills and video and keep valid shutter speeds? 50 for video and say 250 for stills?

2. Collapse Details
    1DC is still my favorite camera. I've owned many cameras before and after and I have yet to find the magic that I've gotten from that camera. It's a pain to use a good amount of the time, but the image is stunning and I still sometimes use it for narrative work. For event and doc work it's too difficult in most cases - but I still reach for it and I don't think I can sell it. I have a c200 on order and I hope that 1DC cuts well with it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The 1DC has mojo that I haven't found on anything else other than what I've seen with the 1DX II. I just shot a commercial on my 1DC and loved working with it. People who complain about lack of good audio, no ND filters, etc, are thinking of the camera in the total wrong way. It's a "cinema" camera. It's like a RED or something... you gotta rig it out to work with it. But you can strip it down if you want.

I've found that CONTAX Zeiss or Leica R Glass REALLY looks great on this camera.

I'm considering buying a C200 as my upgrade camera... but I just can't convince myself to sell the 1DC (which I would need to do to pay for it)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander.M View Post
    Any regrets switching over NorBro? I suspect the DPAF and C-Log on the 5D Mark IV now makes up for it. Smaller form factor is always a plus too.
    But you will have the small battery problem and crop factor problem and single CF card problem, 29:59 recording time problem. If you can do without DPAF a used 1DC will be much better.
    As for the 1DX2 install a flat profile and it will have very similar performance of the c-log, since it have a slightly better base dynamic range, the gradability of the files are so similar to the 1DC. One batter on the 1DC can use record up to 2 256GB CF minimum( probably three, usually change batteryafter 2 cards)

Now I use the 1DX2 more but will usually carry with me the 1DC as my backup. I am unlikely to sell the 1DC even if a MK2 is available.

5. Collapse Details
    no simple way really, may be the C1 c2c3 mode?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaze View Post
    The 1DC has mojo that I haven't found on anything else other than what I've seen with the 1DX II. I just shot a commercial on my 1DC and loved working with it. People who complain about lack of good audio, no ND filters, etc, are thinking of the camera in the total wrong way. It's a "cinema" camera. It's like a RED or something... you gotta rig it out to work with it. But you can strip it down if you want.

I've found that CONTAX Zeiss or Leica R Glass REALLY looks great on this camera.

I'm considering buying a C200 as my upgrade camera... but I just can't convince myself to sell the 1DC (which I would need to do to pay for it)
    the 1DC does not worth much these days, much better to keep it as a back up.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    400 is the native and they say as you increase the ISO, you may see some artifices in the image. I haven't really pushed the camera to find out anymore.

When Canon announced the C-Log update, I felt like they were really pushing for the 5D to be a B camera on C300 Mark II productions. Some of the European Canon channels/countries were releasing pieces produced with both.

As far as the C200, this YT channel recently uploaded the same footage shot with the 5D Mark IV and C200. Not sure if the 5D was in Log, but maybe see how they both cut in a timeline together.

5D Mark IV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qR3a8iIMKQ

C200 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4yVXiy2iU

To me, they would both blend perfectly. Especially in faster-paced cuts with constant shot changes.

The 5D Mark IV is a really good camera...a bit underrated because many never gave it a chance because of the crop and it's a DSLR, no 10-bit or RAW, etc.
    Even with a flat profile most canon camera can cut into the clog clips easily. many of use here have been testing and using it since the 1DC came out

8. Collapse Details
    I don't do the flat profiles...I want the real log gamma curve installed on the camera by the people who make the camera.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, the record time on the 1DC is a killer feature, it shoots forever and the crop is nice.

10. Collapse Details
    The no-limit recording is awesome, but I don't find myself shooting longer than 30 minutes most of the time.

The actual recording space isn't a problem. One 512GB SDXC card around $300 is the same cost for one 256GB CF card. (Or at least the high-end SanDisk ones.) I personally like the SD cards better because of my workflow and having a laptop with a card slot, but it's all good either way.

One other important consideration of the 5D Mark IV/1DX Mark II is they are probably twice as clean as the 1DC...10000 easily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast