Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 and Speedbooster compared to 5d3
    Hello Listers,

I'm a long term user of PannyCams (presently a PX270) but more recently have been dipping my toes into the dslr world. For still photography, I have a nice selection of L glass and a 5d3. And, like many of you, see the dslr route as an easy way to add production value for some work. Though it is a pain, I am well equipped for dual audio, so not an issue when needed. I haven't yet, but have considered installing Magic Lantern on the 5d3. Since I do mostly small corporate, I don't necessarily need 4k, it would be a luxury for reframing. I am happy enough with the color science of the 270 as it has the brains of the 5000 series Panny. Along comes the GH5 and having a normal amount of gear-lust, I start wondering:

Would the GH5 offer a big improvement over the 5d3 (shooting with ML)? Resolution obviously, what about color science?

How well does Canon glass actually work on the GH5 using a Speedbooster? What is the state of affairs with non-native glass?

Would a GH5 be the easiest way to get to 4k?

Any other comments would be appreciated.
    Grant

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Would the GH5 offer a big improvement over the 5d3 (shooting with ML)? Resolution obviously, what about color science?
    Take a look at Erik Naso's color test comparing the $16K+ Varicam LT with the GH5, it's pretty eye opening...

3. Collapse Details
    Well the obvious response is that the 5D III is 8-bit and the GH5 is 10-bit, which might not be a factor depending on if you do green screen or heavy grading. Now if you were shooting Magic Lantern RAW the 5D III would have the edge, at least as far as color information goes; although, these differences aren't likely to be apparent in corporate videos.

I personally think Canon's color is too warm, although it can make peoples skin tones look more flattering. I haven't shot enough with Panasonic's cameras to make a call on color accuracy, but most camera's allow you to tweak color settings, so you should be able to get any camera to work.

Ease of use is one of the better reasons to upgrade to the GH5, it natively supports high frame rates and video oriented features like focus peaking, zebra stripes and wave form, which make it much easier to shoot video with, although Magic Lantern will give many of those features to the 5D III.

4. Collapse Details
    10 bit 4:2:2 is HUGE. Even if you don't do any grading. Banding is pretty much eliminated from your shots with all that color info that the GH5 has.
    Last edited by Erik Naso; 08-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    The GH5 both with or without a SpeedBooster is a great little tool But rather than saying it is better than a 5Dmk3, I'll just say it is a different tool. I keep a 5Dmk3 with ML on my van pretty much all the time because A: it's still a great stills camera. And B: sometimes a full frame camera is the right tool for the job at hand.

All the best!

Dave

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    OP here.

I wouldn't mind spending for the GH5, but not if I have to buy a whole new set of glass. Thus the query about the state of using Canon glass.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    OP here.

I wouldn't mind spending for the GH5, but not if I have to buy a whole new set of glass. Thus the query about the state of using Canon glass.
    I use Canon and Zeiss Contax with Speed Booster. Works great. For stills the Metabones isn't as fast with AF.

8. Collapse Details
    OP here again.

On one hand, I could just stick with Canon and maybe go the ML route with my 5d3. Or maybe consider the upgrade to a 5d4 instead of a GH5. I have never much thought I needed 4K, but if it would help delivering great color on a 1080 image, then I'm interested. I suppose what I'm really after is to leverage my L-Glass investment and for some things, can live with the DSLR workflow.

How about a twisted sister question: What about a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Cam + Speedbooster. Don't know much about them.

Grant

9. Collapse Details
    Grant, Might I suggest a fairly inexpensive first step.... A fast but inexpensive 128GB Komputer Bay CF card, and load ML onto your 5Dmk3.

This gives you a chance to experience shooting/working with a raw workflow, as well as an opportunity to compare the 8-bit 4:2:0 video from the stock 5D, to the 14-bit linear raw from ML. All on a platform you are already used to.

Don't like it, or can't see a difference? Then remove ML, press forward, and you have only invested $100 in a CF card.
    Last edited by David W. Jones; 08-13-2017 at 06:55 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    GH5 with speed booster XL seems like the perfect combo for you. I use canon glass all the time on my GH5s and I never have any issues. XL gives you a 1.3 crop just like ASPH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast