Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic Lumix gh5 and the Terrible External Monitor lag
    Hello Group,

I just purchased a new Panasonic Lumix GH5, it arrived recently and I just plugged in my newer 7" Lilliput Full 1080 HD monitor and I'm surprised to experience this awful lag of the monitor when panning, tilting, or focusing. Has anyone else experience this issue?...if so, what is the solution? This makes it impossible to use on the go, it may work to help set up static shots, interviews etc, but I can't move around it will drive a shooter crazy!

Thanks for any advise with this issue!

-Tony

2. Collapse Details
    GH4 and GH5 have lag when monitoring out via HDMI. It's the worst at 24hz system frequency (24p). It's tolerable at 59.94 system frequency(30p). No way around it unfortunately.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

3. Collapse Details
    I researched and somewhere mentioned that the Atomas Ninja does not lag, not sure if that's true?...I take it another monitor like the Smallhd no good either?...This is a major Bummer, might have considered purchasing another brand of DSLR if I knew. Thanks for your reply!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tokun1 View Post
    I researched and somewhere mentioned that the Atomas Ninja does not lag, not sure if that's true?...I take it another monitor like the Smallhd no good either?...This is a major Bummer, might have considered purchasing another brand of DSLR if I knew. Thanks for your reply!
    No, not true. Some monitors might have MORE lag added on top of the lag, but not none. I thought it would bother me more than it does in regular usage but it doesn't that much.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

5. Collapse Details
    It's a bummer. As mentioned higher end monitors have less latency. The GH5 is better than the GH4. That drove me crazy. I was shooting interviews and the producer was looking at the monitor and asked me if my camera is okay. I had to assure her it was. I was hoping the GH5 would be better and it is but still worse than Sony cameras. Add in a cheaper monitor and it's frustrating.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow, didn't realize this.
    Wonder if you can rent before buying to try it out.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    Wow, didn't realize this.
    Wonder if you can rent before buying to try it out.
    If you are going to be working mostly at 24p it's a serious consideration. If you are going to work at 30p, 60p, or 50p the lag is tolerable and not much worse than other cameras. Panasonic knows about the issue but they say it's not fixable.

8. Collapse Details
    First time I heard about this. For run'n gun documentaries is the lag going to be an issue? Might be the final reason to go with Sony.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgoings View Post
    First time I heard about this. For run'n gun documentaries is the lag going to be an issue? Might be the final reason to go with Sony.
    For run and gun, I presume you'll be working hand-held. For hand held I use a shoulder mount with an LCD loupe instead of an HDMI monitor.

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    ...Just out of curiosity, does recording with an external recorder and NOT recording internally change the monitor lag ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast