Thread: Lenses for C200

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Sigma 18-35 has some noticeable vignetting when close to wide open, but that is just a characteristic of the lens. You don't reach the edge of the image circle for the glass like you do with some of Canon's ef-s lenses. Canon has vignetting corrections in camera for its own lenses which Sigma can't supply.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for clearing that up for me cpreston!

Thinking I might go Sigma Art 18-35 zoom, 50mm and 85mm.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Interesting. I've never heard of this, how would you do it without messing anything up with the lens?

@ Chris F: Sorry I was traveling and didn't see your question. You don't exactly mess anything up--it doesn't remove the contacts or change back-focus. But by removing the rear plastic , you leave it much more vulnerable to dirt and dust. So attempt this at your own risk, but it is very easy & straightforward.

My camera and lenses are at the office so I can't show you directly, but here's a vimeo link to someone doing the procedure:
    https://vimeo.com/102685947

Here's a longer one from the Youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUsnuil_vw

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    The Sigma 18-35 has some noticeable vignetting when close to wide open, but that is just a characteristic of the lens. You don't reach the edge of the image circle for the glass like you do with some of Canon's ef-s lenses. Canon has vignetting corrections in camera for its own lenses which Sigma can't supply.
    The new Sigma firmware for their lenses that's coming up sounds like it'll have the vignetting correction for all their lenses working, but I'm not sure how this'll work with the C series. Does the vignetting correction work with the C200s RAW files?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by djangosan View Post
    @ Chris F: Sorry I was traveling and didn't see your question. You don't exactly mess anything up--it doesn't remove the contacts or change back-focus. But by removing the rear plastic , you leave it much more vulnerable to dirt and dust. So attempt this at your own risk, but it is very easy & straightforward.

My camera and lenses are at the office so I can't show you directly, but here's a vimeo link to someone doing the procedure:
    https://vimeo.com/102685947

Here's a longer one from the Youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUsnuil_vw
    I took the back plastic off and did some tests.....unfortunately no change in the dark vignetting in the corners due to the plastic. The biggest difference maker was stopping down the lens. However one interesting, but perhaps useless finding is that when I took the back plastic off, the vignetting of the lens had a much more even falloff across both sides of the lens as you can see in the screen grab below the video of the Lumetri scopes from premiere

scopes.jpg
    chrisfrancis.tv | rosedale.tv | Canon C200 | Canon C200b

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    As much as I like the sharpness of the Sigma lenses, I'm sticking with Canon. Too many limitations on the Sigmas, the value equation isn't there for me.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IanTheM View Post
    The new Sigma firmware for their lenses that's coming up sounds like it'll have the vignetting correction for all their lenses working, but I'm not sure how this'll work with the C series. Does the vignetting correction work with the C200s RAW files?
    I saw that announcement as well, but it didn't include the cinema cameras. I wish it did.

I would be interested to know whether the C200 RAW files includes Canon's exposure compensation at all. My experience with other cameras has shown that RAW shooting and some of the higher bit rate codecs tend to exclude things like exposure compensation and CA correction on Canon cameras.

8. Collapse Details
    @ Chris F: That's Hilarious! Sorry it didn't help

9. Collapse Details
    Has anyone used the Tamron 15-30 2.8? I may rent one to test it out because I'm very interested in how the autofocus and the image stabilization behave on the C200.

10. Collapse Details
    Just did some tests with the Tamron 15-30 2.8 & the Tamron 24-70 2.8 at the local rental house and the lens wouldn't talk to the camera. Couldn't change the aperture and autofocus and vibration control were unresponsive.

I imagine this could be fixed with a firmware update, but just an FYI.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast