1. Collapse Details
    Thoughts on new Laowa 7.5mm f/2 ?
    Haven't heard much of them as a brand, not sure how the overall quality is compared to bigger players (leica, zeiss, voigt, even Olympus). But the new 7.5mm ultrawide f/2 looks very interesting: very small and light, accepts filters, minimal barrel distortion, fastest ultra wide in the system, only $500.

Thoughts?

This is the video that got my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZyhW2_LjI

Leary to invest in what sounds like an off-brand lens, and would like to see more sample footage first, but seems impressive at first glance....?

2. Collapse Details
    I have one. Just received it last week. I've only got a few samples so far but It's a fantastic lens for ultra wide interiors and even better in etc mode at a 21mm ff equivalent on a stabilizer. In the end of the day I got it to do realestate video and haven't had a job to use it on yet.

3. Collapse Details
    The only drawback I could see from looking at dozens of test shots, is that this lens is a little bit flare-prone when the sun is in the frame. ( might be the same with theatrical stage lighting pointing towards the lens )

4. Collapse Details
    Here's a sample from a campfire 8 second exposure at ISO 400 with the 7.5mm f/2

You can see the flare in the upper left corner. It's definitely got some "interesting" character when it comes to flares

Cheers,
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Collapse Details
    The lens looks nice for the price, size, and weight.

The Leica 8-18 is a stop slower at 2.8, however, it also takes filters and is pretty small/light + a zoom + it's leica....

Any thoughts on the 8mm f/2.8 Leica VS this 7.5?

Also, funny no one ever got excited about the Kowa 8.5mm.... I'd love to see how it stacks up against the Kowa as well.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Any thoughts on the 8mm f/2.8 Leica VS this 7.5 ?
    I bought the Leica 8-18mm zoom because I did not want to have to deal with the flare from the Laowa lens. ( The Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 looked like it was too heavy for gimbal use with the GH5 )

7. Collapse Details
    I got one, and after some quick initial indoor tests, I am very impressed. Super light/small - extremely similar to Olympus 12mm. Distortion looks good. Image is sharp. Bokeh has a nice clean look. Very close focus distance. Etc.

Have not used outdoors where more flaring may be present, but I was anticipating that. For $500 I really don't think you could go too wrong with this lens.

Lens hood and lens cap are a little cheap, but you can just as easily go aftermarket on that, and the aperture ring isn't ideally placed so close to the mount. Other than that, I really like it.

Will report back after actual field use.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.