Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by improser View Post
    Im really disappointed about the minimum sharpening settings. Using analogo lenses I have horrendous haloing in areas of the image when exists hight contrast subjects. Im really thinking in sell the body and return to the GH4 because of this... in the GH4 the image is better looking, more organic, and support best the scaling and visualization in big sizes (cinema)... think that halos being at bigger sizes. Other bad scenario is when you grade the image down in exposure/gamma, the halo become more noticeable.

Attachment 125631

This is a 100% crop.
    Cinelike-D, straight from camera. Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC with Metabones Ultra 0.71x at f/4
    This not happen with the GH4.

FULL RES FILES

I agree, I have to use strong diffusion in front of the lens and blur filters in post to get it "under control".

Even at sharpening -5, it's a joke...

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    I don't get any of that with my GH5.
    +1

With my GH4 I almost always shot with Sharpness at -5 using native glass because anything higher would start to look too sharp. With this setting ( and NR at -5 ) I never saw haloing.

So far my GH5 seems to be a tamer version of my GH4, where I don't have to take Sharpness all the way down to -5, and GH5 temporal NR seems to work significantly better than GH4 NR does.

Looking at Improser's full res image makes me think it's his FD lens that might be a part of the problem. ( would like to see a side-by-side GH4 vs GH5 comparison with both cameras using the SAME lens )

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ita149 View Post
    You mean the 4k ETC mode of your GH5 is sharper than the original 4k 2x crop ? If yes, i think there is a lot of sample variation with the GH5. Mine is sharper with the original 4k 2x crop.
    The GH5 image in ETC is definitely sharper than the regular 4K crop using my 42.5mm Panasonic lens and my 50mm f/1.4 OM zuiko on a dummy metabones .71x speedbooster.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by improser View Post
    Im really disappointed about the minimum sharpening settings. Using analogo lenses I have horrendous haloing in areas of the image when exists hight contrast subjects. Im really thinking in sell the body and return to the GH4 because of this... in the GH4 the image is better looking, more organic, and support best the scaling and visualization in big sizes (cinema)... think that halos being at bigger sizes. Other bad scenario is when you grade the image down in exposure/gamma, the halo become more noticeable.

Attachment 125631

This is a 100% crop.
    Cinelike-D, straight from camera. Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC with Metabones Ultra 0.71x at f/4
    This not happen with the GH4.

FULL RES FILES
    So what is exactly the problem you have?
    There is no 'horrendous haloing' in the original, there is a one pixel contrast enhancement, which after debayering is nothing out of the ordinary.
    The rest is caused by chromatic aberration of the lens.

Not sure what you mean by analog(o) lenses, all lenses are analog.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZiD View Post
    I agree, I have to use strong diffusion in front of the lens and blur filters in post to get it "under control".

Even at sharpening -5, it's a joke...
    I am not sure your comments are actually meant cynically but I hope they are.

6. Collapse Details
    Sadly not. Still figuring out how to match with a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro and DJi Inspire 2 X5s (ProRes D-log) for a shoot, since these cameras don't do any visible processing and look way more organic thanks to that. No edge sharpening and unsharp mask halos at all.

Right now I'm using blur in Davinci Resolve and change the opacity of the according node to decrease the halos trying not to destroy fine detail. Really hard tbh.

Never saw a debayering algorithm introducing edge sharpening artifacts, basically tried all of them (DCraw, Adobe Camera RAW, DXO, BlackMagic, REDcode etc...) The sharpening is applied after debayering and before scaling (The 6k photo footage has slightly bigger halos but looks similar once downscaled to 4k).

Really wish Panasonic would give us an option to disable it, matching would be way easier and footage would generally look way more cinematic and have better motion cadence (less strobing).

Noise isn't a problem for me, looks quite organic actually at -5/-5 honestly.
    Last edited by DeeZiD; 08-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    The GH5 image in ETC is definitely sharper than the regular 4K crop using my 42.5mm Panasonic lens and my 50mm f/1.4 OM zuiko on a dummy metabones .71x speedbooster.
    Very interesting, my GH5 is clearly sharper on the regular 4k 2x crop.

8. Collapse Details
    Right now I'm using blur in Davinci Resolve and change the opacity of the according node to decrease the halos trying not to destroy fine detail. Really hard tbh.
    That does not make any sense to me whatsoever, but to each his own!

9. Collapse Details
    Only way to make these edge halos less apparent. Maybe there are better options, but not that I'm aware of.
    Already using non Panasonic lenses (no digital corrections) here and diffusion filters.
    Last edited by DeeZiD; 08-08-2017 at 11:42 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Already using non Panasonic lenses (no digital corrections) here and diffusion filters.
    But the full res sample you posted looks like it's contaminated with chromatic-aberration from your Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 lens, which is causing the color bleed on fine black&white image detail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast