Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sharpness Setting
    I have a GH4 and am renting a GH5 next week. I usually shoot standard or vivid profile. What sharpness setting on the GH5 will equate to "0" on the GH4?
    Regards,

Mark

GH4, GH5, Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, Glideshot jib and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel:http://vimeo.com/channels/3523

2. Collapse Details
    Im really disappointed about the minimum sharpening settings. Using analogo lenses I have horrendous haloing in areas of the image when exists hight contrast subjects. Im really thinking in sell the body and return to the GH4 because of this... in the GH4 the image is better looking, more organic, and support best the scaling and visualization in big sizes (cinema)... think that halos being at bigger sizes. Other bad scenario is when you grade the image down in exposure/gamma, the halo become more noticeable.

gh5_sharpening.jpg

This is a 100% crop.
    Cinelike-D, straight from camera. Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC with Metabones Ultra 0.71x at f/4
    This not happen with the GH4.

FULL RES FILES

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your comments about the GH5 but what about comparable sharpness setting.
    Regards,

Mark

GH4, GH5, Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, Glideshot jib and Edius 8.5 WG.

4. Collapse Details
    I think the GH5 is much more organic and a tiny bit softer than the GH4. I have always shot both at all zero's. If you are getting halo's you might have i.res and i.dyn turned on. Another thing to try is to use ETC in these sorts of situations, as it a 1 for 1 pixel readout from the sensor vs. the full 2x crop taking the full 5k sensor and packing it into 4k output.

Mark, I think you'll really like the new color science of the GH5 on top of all the other features it gives you. Having a 2x crop vs 2.49x on the GH4. Now ETC effectively gives two lenses in one for each prime at 2x or 2.7x crop. The GH4 doesn't have ETC in 4K mode as it's ETC'd already just to do 4K. 120 and 180 fps slow motion are incredible, plus the new quality at these frame rates is much higher than on the GH4. One of the biggest things is the 20mpix still are head and shoulders above the GH4. I still can't edit 10bit on Vegas, so I can't even show how much that can help sometimes.

If you can sell your GH4 for $800, it's not too horrible a step and I found it well worth it

Cheers,
    Pete

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks Pete. My plan is to tryout the GH5 and if it is good then sell my GH4. Really interested in shooting 4K 60fps. I am editing with Edius 8.5 workgroup so 10bit is no problem.
    Regards,

Mark

6. Collapse Details
    Mark, be mindful of lens sharpness as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, thank you.
    Regards,

Mark

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    I think the GH5 is much more organic and a tiny bit softer than the GH4. I have always shot both at all zero's. If you are getting halo's you might have i.res and i.dyn turned on. Another thing to try is to use ETC in these sorts of situations, as it a 1 for 1 pixel readout from the sensor vs. the full 2x crop taking the full 5k sensor and packing it into 4k output.

Cheers,
    Pete
    Is really a step backward in term of sharpening. I have all disabled and double check settings, even try other picture profiles for a difference but is not.
    If you compare or even test with the camera yourself then you see it.

In the example I post, when you dark the sky, the halo is brighter and become very noticeable because you are dimming the tones, really disgusting.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by improser View Post
    Is really a step backward in term of sharpening. I have all disabled and double check settings, even try other picture profiles for a difference but is not.
    If you compare or even test with the camera yourself then you see it. In the example I post, when you dark the sky, the halo is brighter and become very noticeable because you are dimming the tones, really disgusting.
    I don't get any of that with my GH5. In ETC mode my GH5 is exactly the same as my GH4 I owned before it. In 2x crop the GH5 is a tiny bit softer than the GH4 in it's 2.49x crop in 4K recording, but it's almost imperceptible.

I'll suggest you try some native primes and see if it's not your metabones/lens setup causing the issue. Also make sure you are on firmware 1.1 as there was an issue with halo's and firmware 1.0 in vlog. Not sure if that might be an issue in cined as well.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    I don't get any of that with my GH5. In ETC mode my GH5 is exactly the same as my GH4 I owned before it. In 2x crop the GH5 is a tiny bit softer than the GH4 in it's 2.49x crop in 4K recording, but it's almost imperceptible.

I'll suggest you try some native primes and see if it's not your metabones/lens setup causing the issue. Also make sure you are on firmware 1.1 as there was an issue with halo's and firmware 1.0 in vlog. Not sure if that might be an issue in cined as well.
    You mean the 4k ETC mode of your GH5 is sharper than the original 4k 2x crop ? If yes, i think there is a lot of sample variation with the GH5. Mine is sharper with the original 4k 2x crop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast