Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I'd test everything you don't think you need and dump it. If the GH2 doesn't work, I'd pay postage on all the parts you have. Might help me figure out a problem on another body. If it still works, might be able to get around $200 for it. Not sure of the value of the rest of the gear. Might be worth contacting a company that buys and sells used gear and see what kind of quick money you could get. Probably be about 50% of what you can sell it for, but it would be faster and easier.

2. Collapse Details
    Only YOU can answer this question

Which of them do you see yourself using in the next 6 months? 12 months? 18 months?

And how much would you use it? And what are the odds? Likely? Possible? Unlikely?

And what would you use it on, paid work? Personal projects?

These are just some of the factors you need to consider. And we don't know those answers for you.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    I have a super 16mm film camera which is a camera I'm keeping because it's bringing me $$ work..
    But for how long? These hipster/vintage fads come and go. In 12 months all your customers for film are just as likely to change their minds.
    Keep enough digital kit to be able to swap back.

I see the same with still togs re glass plates and wet film. Every now and again there is a flurry of activity for both film and glass plate photography. It is normally short lived and certainly far to intermittent to base a living on.

Part of the problem is time and cost.

Cost: It's connected to supply and demand: as the use of film drops and fewer places stock it or make it. The prices go up. Film will get more expensive to use as the cost of digital sinks. Eventually your customers are not going to want to pay the difference. You are also going to have to carry a lot film stock as customers may want something shot quickly (and lead times for film are only going to increase) That is quite an investment. Quite apart from requiring developing and editing kit and room to use them. Spares for which are also going to disappear and get more expensive.

Time: Digital is instant. This is why the news media went to it ASAP. Also you know what you have in the can with digital. You know at the time if you need a reshoot.

The other problem is supply and demand. With fewer places holding stock of film you could find that supplies may take days or weeks. Digital does not have that problem. So if a customer calls the day after you finish a shoot that used your stock of film and says I need this once in a life time event/thing shot the day after tomorrow.... Unless you are always carrying a large amount of expensive film stock "just in case" you won't be able to do it and piss of the customer. So there is an expense of carrying a lot of film stock you may not use.

So whilst you are having a good time of it at the moment I don't think it is stable or has a future. You might be luck ant be the One place "everyone" goes to in NY for shooting on film, enough to give you a business longer term but the public are fickle. In the cold light of day (bottom line on time and money) film does to have any advantages over digitial.
    Last edited by jagraphics; 08-14-2018 at 03:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12