1. Collapse Details
    Crushing blacks in-camera
    I have a Nikon D3100, which I want to hook up to a projector to project live video onto a screen.

I want to crush the blacks (or, failing that, just crank up the contrast) of the live video. Is there a way to do this in-camera? Or can it only be done in post?

I've Googled around, but all I can find is tips for avoiding high contrast.

A user on another forum suggested using Picture Control Utility to make a custom Picture Control, but this camera model can't open custom Picture Controls.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    It's generally recommended to avoid cranking up contrast in a camera because most video creators would like the flattest image possible (for post-production), but if you're looking to crush a little bit of the image for a live video presentation, it's probably the only option you have. If there is any shadow control anywhere that would be a better one, but not sure if there is.

Maybe test it with the projector (if possible) and see how it looks?

3. Collapse Details
    I have a D7000, so I'm not sure what options your camera has; if you can choose different picture profiles, select the most contrasty one (probably vivid) and under expose to crush the blacks if all else fails. I think your camera outputs 720P and I'm not sure is it's clean HDMI output.

4. Collapse Details
    90% of all projectors I've ever used have had contrast settings. If you can't do it in-camera, do it in-projector.