Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 vs. GH4+external 10bit recorder
    I already own a GH4, and have been toying with the idea of selling and getting the GH5 mainly due to the internal 10bit.
    I don't really need IBIS and can live without the full HDMI port.

In your opinions, is the image going to be comparable or is the image quality on the GH5 just better than the GH4 can output?

Thanks as always!

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carpenter View Post
    Is the image going to be comparable or is the image quality on the GH5 just better than the GH4 can output?
    I am selling off my GH4 to buy a 2nd GH5 because of how much better I find the GH5 image, especially when shooting 10-bit.

Also, 1080p internal on the GH5 has few moire problems compared to 1080p on the GH4. I stopped shooting 1080p with my GH4 when I became aware of how moire prone it is.

Lastly, IBIS means really good hand-held shooting with older manual lenses. When I first got my GH5 I threw on a Nikon 135mm f/2.8 lens with a non-Speedbooster Metabones adapter ( equiv to 270mm on a Full Frame camera ), and marveled at how I could easily shoot smooth hand-held pans. I know that several GH5 wedding shooters are doing a lot more hand-held work compared to when they shot with Canon or Sony, because the GH5 IBIS is really good.

3. Collapse Details
    Plus there is less cropping of the sensor.

4. Collapse Details
    I have both cameras and an external 10-bit recorder. I'd choose the Gh5 internal over the Gh4 + external recorder for my uses,(corporate interviews & run and gun documentary) . Imaging is better on the Gh5, even after the internal compression. I don't do any extreme color grading in my line of work so I can't comment on how far you can push it, and typically don't shoot vLog either. I also like the Gh5's reduced sensor crop, IBIS, and audio control with the DMW-XLR1 adapter. Plus the rigging is simpler with fewer batteries, and the files are smaller.

5. Collapse Details
    This is a really tough one. The Gh5 does have better detail and color out of the box even without factoring in the recording format. So it still has advantages over the GH4 even when that GH4 uses an external recorder. With that said the GH4 is not garbage by any means and is still an exceptional camera.

The camera profile used will play an even bigger part of the decision. If one uses Standard or Natural the difference are likely pretty subtle. There is less crop and perhaps slightly more accurate colors but honestly when using Natural I never had a problem with the color on the GH3 or GH4. CineD and V-log are a whole other story. V-log on the GH4 can look fantastic only if you use an external recorder and that can be considered a bit of a pain for some people. The beauty of the GH5 is you can safely use V-log with the internal 10bit and even with the 150mbps it looks really darn good. A lot better than it should look for such a low compression rate.

When it comes to the GH5 for normal camera profiles I see it more like the upgrade from the GH2 to the GH3. Most of the advantages were feature based and not so much quality based. To me moving to the GH3 was about the better audio, better internal recording without having to hack the camera, better LCD and a few other things dealing with ergonomics and handling. The GH4 to GH5 is kind of the same thing to me. The quality is really there on both cameras and the GH5 is more about the IBIS, better audio options and no longer having to use an external recorder for V-log or to load a lut to view V-log properly. The GH4 with extra tools can cover all that stuff more or less. The point is do you want all those tools slapped on the GH4 all the time?

If the GH4 is on a tripod then IBIS isn't a big deal. If it has an external audio recorder attached it isn't a big deal. If an external video recorder is attached for a higher resolution LCD, loading luts and better 10bit color for V-log it isn't a big deal. If you don't need to shoot super wide where the extra crop is a concern then it isn't a big deal. If you shoot Standard or Natural which already had good color on the GH3 and GH4 then it isn't a big deal.

If a lot of those things apply then keep the GH4. If anybody finds that stuff to be a pita then consider the GH5. The GH5 is about the progression of a DSLR trully being a stand alone video camera. The GH5 is now a few notches closer to that reality.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Is it not a fact Panasonic have lowered the sharpness detail in the GH5,without doubt it is compared to the GH4 i exchanged my GH5 for.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by flinty View Post
    Is it not a fact Panasonic have lowered the sharpness detail in the GH5,without doubt it is compared to the GH4 i exchanged my GH5 for.
    I haven't noticed this, but I will try and do some comparison tests while I still have my GH4 kicking around.

It does seem like camera settings are different, as I used to set almost everything to -5 with my GH4 to tame the "video look" of the GH4. This is much less of a problem with the GH5.

8. Collapse Details
    I don't think Panasonic lowered anything. They definitely worked on the image quality and since it's a new sensor and processing engine, the image does look better, whatever the technical reason. And yes, treating the settings on the GH5 like those most people set on their GH4 results in not so great images. Realized that from the first day.

Treat it like a new camera, set up accordingly, and it will reward you in many ways.

9. Collapse Details
    GH5 changes the game on the M43 format IMO. It's a significantly better image and while 10-bit vlog plays a big part, and that IS available via GH4, the rest of the story isn't: the sensor improvements, far more detailed image, processing improvements, etc. As well, many added software based features are very handy, and IBIS is a godsend.

GH4 can still produce very nice images with an external recorder, good glass, and the right hands.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast