Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
  1. Collapse Details
    Also, totally anectdotal but both expensive ProGrade V60 cards I bought for our XT-3 have gone belly up while our dirt cheap SanDisk Extreme Pro V30s continue to hum along shooting 400Mbps 4K 60p with no problems. Same with our Go Pro Micro SD cards, nobody, even Go Pro, seems to know which micro SD cards are THE cards for shooting with Go Pros, we've had good luck once again with the Sandisk Extreme Pros but also with some much cheaper Samsung cards. Memory cards are a total crap shoot overall, you just have to find some that actually work over a long period of time consistently and the manufacturer's recommendations are very fuzzy about which will do the job.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Also, totally anectdotal but both expensive ProGrade V60 cards I bought for our XT-3 have gone belly up while our dirt cheap SanDisk Extreme Pro V30s continue to hum along shooting 400Mbps 4K 60p with no problems. Same with our Go Pro Micro SD cards, nobody, even Go Pro, seems to know which micro SD cards are THE cards for shooting with Go Pros, we've had good luck once again with the Sandisk Extreme Pros but also with some much cheaper Samsung cards. Memory cards are a total crap shoot overall, you just have to find some that actually work over a long period of time consistently and the manufacturer's recommendations are very fuzzy about which will do the job.
    That's disappointing to hear about the ProGrade cards. I almost bought some for my C200 / EOS R but instead stuck with the same cheap SanDisk V30s and they've been great, even for the 480mbps mode on the EOS R. That said, I have a couple of the ProGrade card readers and they are fantastic with one exception - with some older SanDisk SD cards, they cause a very strange memory leak during import with Final Cut Pro and it takes FOREVER to import from those cards. With the modern V30 SanDisks or Angelbird UHS-II cards, they are stellar though.

3. Collapse Details
    That's the first I've heard of the ProGrade cards failing. But it's good to know the facts. Thanks for sharing.

4. Collapse Details
    "we have to take back our recommendation to use Lexar Professional 3600x CFast 2.0 cards for recording in ARRI cameras".

So much about official recommendations. Apparently there is soldering joints problem.

You can speculate how much you want from chip specs sheet, when at the end poor PCB design and dirty implementation will ruin the advantage of starting with good components.

Eric, how is your ever growing collection behaving? Sleeping peacefully day before shoot?

I consider that data on solid state media is safely stored only when is on Intel DC x7x0 series drive.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    "we have to take back our recommendation to use Lexar Professional 3600x CFast 2.0 cards for recording in ARRI cameras".

So much about official recommendations. Apparently there is soldering joints problem.
    FWIW, the rental house I worked at had about a dozen or so of these and we only had two that needed to be replaced (they had an issue where if they were inserted in the Alexa Mini prior to boot, they could not be detected. If you inserted them after boot, they worked fine and they had NO ISSUE when being used in a C300 MK II).

I suspect this is a premature measure on ARRI's part and the buy back program they have is laughable. It's literally cheaper to just buy Sandisk cards directly from B&H. If you have these cards, I would slowly phase them out as you would any other flash media but I don't think it's an emergency. We had Alexa Minis with tons of operating hours logged, presumably with these cards, and never had a failure.

7. Collapse Details
    We have two Prograde 512GB Cfast cards for the C200. Bought them last year in June, no problems with them so far!

8. Collapse Details
    Looks like Sony is discontinuing their line CFast 2.0 cards. The 128gb card is no longer available. Only 32 and 64 left. Bummer. I hope there isn't something wrong with the cards that are out there.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty15 View Post
    Looks like Sony is discontinuing their line CFast 2.0 cards. The 128gb card is no longer available. Only 32 and 64 left. Bummer. I hope there isn't something wrong with the cards that are out there.
    CFexpress is likely to be the new industry standard and it's backward compatible with the XQD cards.

10. Collapse Details
    List of Discontinued Sony Memory Products
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Sony announced back in March that they were going to discontinue a lot of memory products including CFAST cards and the ATOMX SSDs:

AMEG Product Categories discontinued starting about July 2019
    Energy Products
    Mobile Projector (MP-CD1)
    Retail Memory Products
    USB Memory (Pen Drive)
    SD UHS-I Memory Card
    micro SD Memory Card
    External Hard Disc Drive
    Retail Optical Disc Products
    Recordable CD Media
    Recordable DVD Media / 8cm DVD Media
    Recordable Blue-ray Disc Media
    Retail Tape Media Products
    Mini DV Tape Media
    8mm Tape Media
    Mass Storage Tape Products
    LTO Data Cartridge
    Professional Media Products
    Professional Hard Disk Drive (RAID & Portable)
    Professional Solid State Drive
    CFast Memory Card
    Pro SD Memory Card
    Terry Nixon
    terry@tmsav.com
    Texas Media Systems
    Phone 1-512-440-1400 Ext 203
    Twitter Facebook Instagram Linkedin

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829