Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal_Parvex View Post
    You guys really risk your data for a few bucks saved?
    First off, when you’re talking enough card to store a solid day or two of shooting, it’s not a “few bucks.” It’s literally THOUSANDS of bucks.

Second, it’s a calculated risk. All card brands fail. In order to make buying a lower priced card not worth it, you’d have to present evidence that they fail at a higher rate than SanDisk (or I guess Sony?). I’ve seen no evidence that that’s the case. In fact, in my own anecdotal situation, I’ve only lost one card in the past several years... a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC card. Over all the time I’ve been using memory cards of various types (first digital camera was a Canon EOS Digital Rebel... the original one) I’ve had fewer than 10 card failures... and nearly all of those were early in the history. Before this Extreme Pro died, I can’t remember a failed card.

There’s a lot of evidence that EgoDisk cards work just dandy... and ProGrade are quality cards from most of the team that used to make Lexar cards before Micron halted production. FreeTail the jury’s still out on in my mind, but I’ll give it a workout with stuff I can afford to lose (or drop back to MP4) before I endorse them.

To tell you the truth, I worry far more about the storage systems down the chain on the editing systems than I do cards. They’re far more likely to fail and they take a lot more work with them when they do.

2. Collapse Details
    You guys really risk your data for a few bucks saved?
    I did it on my documentary because I didn't have a choice. I bought an Ego disk card and ran dozens of tests, shooting short clips, long clips, filling up the cards, downloading them, erasing them. When I felt the one I had had been reliable for at least ten hours of shooting tests, I used it on some paying gigs and continued to work great. I then bought five more of them and ran tests on each. Flawless. Ended up shooting 60TB of CRL so far on the half dozen over the span of a year. To buy these same cards as the Sandisks that are "approved" (that really doesn't mean what you think it does, I've worked closely with the Canon engineers in Burbank) would have cost me the same cost as the camera, $7,500.00, I bought by half dozen Egodisks for $,1800.00. I see no improvement in the end result or reliability in using the approved cards so waste thousands of dollars for a perceived peace of mind that in reality doesn't exist?

You fly, using approved cards is the same as the TSA here in the States, it's "Security Theater". It makes people feel better, safer, like the Government is protecting them when in reality, the TSA is an agency filled with minimum wage incompetent boobs and terrorists use alternative means to smuggle weapons onto planes. Has the existence of the TSA or any of the overseas agencies that do the same prevented every instance of air-based terrorism over the past two decades? Not even close. IMHO, certified CFast cards are the same issue, all certified means is that the manufacturer did methodical testing and deemed a card "certified". Doesn't mean it cannot fail. We take a risk using any card shooting 4K or greater resolution in any camera. Memory becomes corrupted and goes bad. I had an "approved" Sandisk Extreme 256GB card go bad in my C200 last week. Canon certified that card, it's worked fine for a year and all of a sudden, it gave me a repeated "SD card error". I tried reformatting it in other devices, then again in the C200 and it gave me the same error. So I trashed it and ordered another. CFast is no different.

If the Freetail cards provide a track record of reliability over long use over a population of even a few dozen C200 shooters, I have no problem using them. It's all about "prove it to me through use" and it's really a matter of trust. Not saying Sandisk isn't good but are they ten times more reliable than the these cheap cards because they cost almost ten times as much? I seriously doubt it. It's all about calculated risk. I always shoot proxy so in the event of a card failure, I would have a low data rate 2K proxy. Wouldn't be ideal but for 90% of our clients, they would never know the difference as most of them don't care or even actively request that we don't shoot 4K or RAW. I mostly shoot RAW for our own internal projects and it's a risk I have taken and been successful with.
    Last edited by puredrifting; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know, cheap cards use second choice memory. But it seems this is not always true. ProGrade look very fine to me.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know, cheap cards use second choice memory. But it seems this is not always true. ProGrade look very fine to me.
    I can only tell you that a computer engineer who shall remain unnamed once told me that all of the non-Sandisk cards probably buy rejected 512GB memory from whomever Sandisk buys the chips from. Theese inexpensive cards possibly use these second rate 512GB chips and map out the faulty sectors which is how we end up with low cost 256GB cards. Makes sense to me. Why else would Sandisk charge and get $1,000.00 for the same card that everyone is selling for $179.00 to $300.00? There is no free ride and from what I am told, like most things in electronics, the raw components all come from just a few manufacturers. A company like Egodisk or Prograde buys the memory chips and they supply/make their own enclosure and RAID controller. If these are like P2 cards, they have two to four memory chips that are hardware raided together inside the enclosure. As we have all been saying, it's all about risk assesment and redundancy is ALWAYS a good idea. Even shooting 2k proxy is a safety measure for me. Not as good as RAW obviously but good enough for a lot things.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728