1. Collapse Details
    Alternative to HVX?
    Hi there,

I just had my entire setup stolen and am considering whether to replace it or look for something else. The main thing putting me off is the p2 cards, due to the price, limited capacity and complex workflow (for what i need it for anyway). So I'm wondering if there any any cameras out there that are comparable, that write to SD card instead? I don't want anything that writes to tape!

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    The Panasonic HMC 150 uses SDHC cards and is comparable to the HVX in many ways.

3. Collapse Details
    * HMC150 has the same chips as the HVX200a, which are a little bit better than the original HVX200.

* HMC150 uses AVCHD vs DVCPro-HD, so it is 4:2:0 Long GOP vs 4:2:2 Intra-frame, but AVCHD is full raster 1920x1080 where DVCPro-HD was a 1.5:1 pixel so the native resolution was 1280x1080 that was stretched out to 1920.

* If you really need the 4:2:2, you could always get a Atomos Ninja that records from the HDMI out of the HMC150.

* HMC150 uses the same lens as the HVX, but since it doesn't have a tape drive the camera is much smaller.

* HPX170 & HMC150 are very identical, but the HPX170 uses P2 cards & has HD-SDI output. The cost of P2 cards I think makes the HMC150 a better choice. If you need SDI, you can get a cheap HDMI to HD-SDI converter.

That all being said, I'd say get something other than the HMC150. If you have the cash, go up to a used HMC130, as the full raster 1920x1080 CMOS chips will be a HUGE improvement over the HMC150 / HVX in sharpness & noise. Yes, you'll have rolling shutter, but hopefully that isn't an issue.

Or get a brand new AG-UX90, which is what B&H says is the successor to the HMC130. I haven't used it, but with a 4K 1" chip, it should really be a big step up & fairly affordable.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

4. Collapse Details
    thanks both of you, seems they're difficult to get hold of but i've found an hmc151 over here in england, seems like that's the european version, am i correct?

5. Collapse Details
    I think the HMC151 is probably the PAL version. I don't think it was a "World Camera" that could switch between NTSC / PAL (which many cameras do now).

Hope you have a good time with the "new" camera!
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?