Thread: 1080 vs 720

1. Collapse Details
    1080 vs 720
    I normally shoot in 720 24pn.

What would be the the 1080 setting that would be equivalent or closest to that. There appears to be a 1080i 24 and a 1080i 24a ? I'm not sure the differences.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey there,
    you want to set that to 24pa. It would be nice if somehow the HVX shot 1080 24pn but it is not to be. Maybe an update to the firmware could do that? Hmmmmmm.

Cheers,

3. Collapse Details
    It's not in the DVCPRO HD spec.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    1080i 24 shoots at 24fps but converts it to 30i by duplicating every third frame with a 2:3:2:3 cadence (ABCCDEFF...) in a fashion similar to what a telecine does to convert film to video.

24a does the same thing, but flags the duplicated frames so they can be removed during ingest to create a true 24p file. Additionally, it rearranges the order that extra frames are duplicated so the cadence is 2:3:3:2 (ABCCDDEF). The reason has to do with getting the frames to line up with the fields but the result is a cleaner output to 24p.

You'll be fine with either but I believe 24a is the one that comes closer 720pN.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. Beal View Post
    1080i 24 shoots at 24fps but converts it to 30i by duplicating every third frame with a 2:3:2:3 cadence (ABCCDEFF...) in a fashion similar to what a telecine does to convert film to video.

24a does the same thing, but flags the duplicated frames so they can be removed during ingest to create a true 24p file. Additionally, it rearranges the order that extra frames are duplicated so the cadence is 2:3:3:2 (ABCCDDEF). The reason has to do with getting the frames to line up with the fields but the result is a cleaner output to 24p.

You'll be fine with either but I believe 24a is the one that comes closer 720pN.
    That's the way it works with Final Cut.

With others, there's no removal of pulldown at "ingest" -- you drop the MXF files directly on a 24p sequence or timeline, and it happens automatically. Works with either 24p or 24pA, though 24pA is preferable.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY