1. Collapse Details
    Matching Zeiss Milvus glass to Zeiss Otus glass
    If I mixed and matched some Milvus and Otus glass, would the glass by and large still match? Techniques for lens creation seem very similar, with the Otus basically having higher standards or more advanced design, yes?

Thinking of getting Milvus line-up but mixing in 1-2 Otus for most used focal lengths.

2. Collapse Details
    I was curious about the same thing. Hope someone with experience with both can chime in!

3. Collapse Details
    People have been mixing $500 lenses with $5000 lenses forever.

IMO, you will not be able to tell the difference unless you're setting up a scenario for viewers to notice, i.e. like a comparison test that displays the results on the screen for 20 seconds or side-by-side test shots. Of course then you may see minor differences in temperature, sharpness, bokeh, etc, but I do not think anyone would notice a difference in a motion picture/video that's probably going to be graded anyway?

The lenses you mentioned are top-of-the-line; superior glass. IMO, their differences will only be apparent in high-resolution 5K/6K photography where you analyze a still frame...but video, especially video that may end up online compressed...no way.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    From what I've read the Milvus are very similar to Otus but Milvus has some fairly noticeable Chromatic Aberrations when wide open, not nearly as bad as the older classic Zeiss ZF.2 and ZE lenses, but compared to the Otus' virtually no CA it's noticeable. Also the Otus has "onion ring" bokeh while Milvus is solid. Anything else should be easily corrected in Color.