Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You can also explain the flare off these filters becomes a high light, and double your day rate..

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    That's using the BMCC which suffers terribly from IR contamination. I used it once in the Middle East, (it was the agency's camera). The Mid-East must be the worst place on Earth to use a BMCC. But, who knows whether they are a good choice for the FS7, as I said earlier, what works with one combination of camera and lens, might not work with another.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @wordsbyliam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

3. Collapse Details
    Yes I think he chose that camera as "its about as bad as it gets" and so anything else must be better .. sort of plan..

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Nisi if you want good and inexpensive... I have a mix of firecrest (screw in) and Nisi (4x5.65) at the mo and get good results.
    Hey Ben, I am looking at either the Nisi or Firecrest now and it seems like you you two in combination, correct? Do you have a preference between the two? When looking at a Nisi kits it appears that they are IR ND filters - does that matter either way with FS7? I apologize for what may be stupid questions; I am just beginning to start using external filters and want to start a solid kit.

5. Collapse Details
    Not really using them in combination but rather I will use either depending on if it is a mattebox job or a go super light job.

Right now the names of all these things are completely silly and what was an IRND 3 years ago is not what is being called an IRND now. It seems to be a shorthand now for 'no strong colour cast'.

Nisi are simply cheaper for 4x5.65". I'd be using the RHOdiums or similar if I could justify the outlay. Firecrests in this size are bonded and so will last longer than the Nisis but the Nisis are a genuine solid choice being used by a ton of people who can afford more.

Screw-in Firecrests seem to constantly be on sale on Amazon and i built an 82mm kit very inexpensively.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Instagram

6. Collapse Details
    OK great. I always appreciate actual firsthand experience when I'm comparing "unknowns" - sometimes the specs don't tell the whole story. Thank you.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    My go-to IRND's for the past few years have been the Mitomo True ND's, which for a long time were the only ones that maintained consistent color temperature across the range
    These are pretty darn nice, and I have been Jonesing for a set.

I ordered a couple more low cost Skier filters to give me a .3 .6 .9 1.2 set in 4 x 5.65. To date I have been pleased with the .6 and .9 I have been using.

I'll let you know how well the .3 and 1.2 match once they arrive.
    Last edited by David W. Jones; 07-21-2017 at 11:27 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quick follow-up question: when looking at a graduated filter what is the general consensus here as to what the best strength to start with? 2-stop? 3-stop? I know there are various situations that would call for more or less but I'm looking for a good starting point since I won't be able to purchase a full range of graduated filters to begin with. Thanks for your input!

9. Collapse Details
    I recently ended up going with firecrest for 4x4's and am very happy with their neutrality. I had available an inexpensive older se of tiffen's and they just didn't cut it.
    I've been using B+W s for 82mm screw ins forever and was reasonably happy until I looked at them carefully recently and my N6 didn't match the N3 & N9 at all - much warmer. So I tried another B+W and a Heliopan. I've always thought of B+W and Heliopan as top brands but they were all very similar - too warm. So I bought a Firecrest and its fine. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a 4x5.6 soft grad from Firecrest or just live with my Tiffens which are not all the same - again the N6 is the bad one though I assume that's just coincidence.

10. Collapse Details
    If its a soft grad I would go with an N6 first then an N9 . N3 is often too light to be do much on a soft grad . On a hard grad - very useful for long lenses then I'd probably go with a 6 first then a an N3 and and N9 last though all are valuable.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast