Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ND Filters: What are you using.
    i'm in the market for some new 4x5.65 ND. Used a few different ones lately with varying outcomes in terms of colour shifts and IR contamination. I'm interested in anyone's experience with different manufacturers particularly Skier as they look a cost effective option.

Cheers,

L
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2. Collapse Details
    Formatt Hitech Firecrest ND's they are the best there is right now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    The Firecrest's are great, but word of caution, Grug got a set, & some were incorrectly marked. Believe Format-Hitech is UK based so if there's an issue it may be easier for you to remedy.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 07-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    A couple of the newer offerings which have received positive test results are the Tokina Pro IRND, and the Schneider RHOdium FSND filters.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    i'm in the market for some new 4x5.65 ND.
    Out of interest, what are you using these for? Obviously to cut exposure, but do you find you need additional ND over your internal capabilities, are you looking for graduated filters, or do you find that the internals produce colour shifts or IR contamination?

Thanks,

jason
    ----------------
    Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
    Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
    Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    Yes, used those. Very expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    The Firecrest's are great, but word of caution, Grug got a set, & some were incorrectly marked. Believe Format-Hitech is UK based so if there's an issue it may be easier for you to remedy.
    Duly noted, thanks Bern.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrooks View Post
    Out of interest, what are you using these for? Obviously to cut exposure, but do you find you need additional ND over your internal capabilities, are you looking for graduated filters, or do you find that the internals produce colour shifts or IR contamination?

Thanks,

jason
    Nothing to do with grads, purely looking to reduce exposure and avoid colour shifts and IR contamination. Six stops of dodgy internal ND doesn't always cut it, fine for run around basic photography, but not good enough for high end work or work in very bright conditions where shallow depth of field is required on a fast prime. For example, two of my recent shoots in India yielded very different results, one using Canon Cine primes and Tiffen Pro 4x5.65 ND filters and one using Sigma ART Primes and cheaper screw-in Tiffen ND. Neither were satisfactory but oddly the cheaper ones yielded superior results.

7. Collapse Details
    I purchased Skier Hot Miirror ND +IR which where recommended at bmcuser for the blackmagic pocket. I use them rarely but imho they have great value for a reasonable price

8. Collapse Details
    I'm using filters attached with the Redrock mirco Mattebox bundle, and getting very good results - I believe they are made by Formatt, as well.

Piotr

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    I purchased Skier Hot Miirror ND +IR which where recommended at bmcuser for the blackmagic pocket. I use them rarely but imho they have great value for a reasonable price
    Have you compared them to anything else? Also, what's the most ND you have had on there? I find anything above 2.1 and I'm struggling.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Have you compared them to anything else? Also, what's the most ND you have had on there? I find anything above 2.1 and I'm struggling.
    I have the 4x4 filters but the 4x6.5 should be the same. I have them in 0.3 / 0.6 / 0.9 / 1.2 Unfortunately 1.2 is the strongest they offer. If you need more density you need to stack them but stacking mirror filters is not the best idea, since you may get some reflections between them. You would need the mirror in front and a regular ND behind.

I compared them 2yrs ago with the Formatt Hot Mirror IRNDs. The Skiers worked very well with the BMPCC (probably the BMCC too). They kill all the red-brownish overcast there is and get the image back to neutral, even better than without any filter. Maybe a tad of green but that's easy to handle in post. The Formatt Hot Mirror IRNDs were not strong enough for the BMPCC, they leave quite some red, while they are perfect for the RED Scarlet/Epic MX. The Skiers are a bit greenish/cyan on the RED cameras, I suppose the crossover frequency is lower or they are simply stronger. No "one size fits all" here.

I use the polarizer very often for studio still shots on a Canon 5DM3/4 and Penatx 645z in a 4x4 filter holder with a 77mm thread adapter. No visible difference between shots w/wo filter, no color cast.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast