Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by kurth View Post
    But also like the gx85, it doesn't have mic input.
    You can use the camera audio as a sync track and then use an external recorder for the real audio you want to record. Easy to do and easy to sync.

2. Collapse Details
    (My RX100 IV doesn't have mic in either; I've done this ^ quite a few times, but beware: if it's windy, it won't work, you'll have to sync by hand and it will drain the life out of you; if you can afford to have somebody using a slate for every take, it's the way to go)

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    (My RX100 IV doesn't have mic in either; I've done this ^ quite a few times, but beware: if it's windy, it won't work, you'll have to sync by hand and it will drain the life out of you; if you can afford to have somebody using a slate for every take, it's the way to go)
    Slating is definitely the better way to go, but you can let the camera and recorder run between takes so that you only have to sync once for a long series of takes recorded as one clip. I've sync'd hours of video this way, though I would always do a tail-slate to eliminate audio drift with long recordings. ( the Vegas Pro editor has a built-in "track stretch" feature that makes it very easy to sync the start and end of a very long video, and everything in between will automatically be sync'd )

4. Collapse Details
    Cool

5. Collapse Details
    I found this "comparison" pointless; the two cameras are so vastly different in cost. GH4 v Sony A6300 or GH5 v A6500 makes more sense.

6. Collapse Details
    That's the point of these kind of tests; comparing equipment (cameras, lenses, mics, etc.) which usually turn out to have minimal differences in quality, but have major ones in price.

7. Collapse Details
    For its price, a secondhand Panasonic G7 can't be beat.

Only other close competitors would be other cameras from Panasonic, such as taking a step up to the Panasonic G80 / G85
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCni...FiSCQNfIaw9SJw

8. Collapse Details
    A few weeks ago, the G85 was available for $600, or at the regular price which included a free $500 lens and the kit lens.

That was one of the most valuable offerings I've seen in a while. The G7 still has its reduced $500 tag, but it expires tonight from B&H.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, that comparison was pretty clear to me: the cheap one was just as sharp, and in many shots the DR was enough, but whenever the shot was demanding, the expenive one just looked a lot better: better shadows, waaaaayyy better highlights, and low light stuff that's actually usable. It does take a side-by-side comparison, though, which is a huge statement on the state of affairs right now. We're so lucky...

10. Collapse Details
    The Panasonic G7 without question is the best 4K camera on a tight budget. I owned one early this past summer, sold it, regretted it, and just bought another one at best buy and could not be happier. Best Buy has it on sale from $800 down to $499.. with the 14-42 lens.. its a steal!
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27HP Varicam
    Fujinon SD B4 Zoom (Model Unknown)
    P&S Technik PRO35 Adapter
    28mm, 80mm PL Lenses (Russian rehouses)
    Panasonic DMC-G7 (Black)
    14-42mm Panasonic MFT Zoom Lens
    AJA KiProMini
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12