Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Netflix Originals camera requirements
    All about the Caption Terry_Lasater's Avatar
    I think an update will be needed soon.

link
    Practice safe filmmaking; use a concept.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    What cameras do you think will be added to the list?
    The C200 and the EVA1?

I would think the FS5 with an external recorder recording in 4K RAW would also be acceptable.

3. Collapse Details
    Every time I see this kind of thing, it just gets me scratching my head. Netflix was born a [I]technology[I] company...they see everything in terms of specs. If Picasso were alive today, would Netflix tell him to create art on the 12.9" iPad because their crowd views it online?

I know...losing battle. Just ranting.
    Sony FS5, A7RII

4. Collapse Details
    4K streaming is a big selling point for Netflix visavis the OTA networks and it will be even bigger in the future. That's why Alexa isn't on it while Alexa65 is.

I am sure that if a big time director/star wanted Alexa specifically and insisted on Alexa specifically that the allowable camera list would be expandable. On the other hand, Netflix is powerful enough to get him the 65 version too.

5. Collapse Details
    Netflix has a technology team that evaluates the different gear to be used in production & post on their projects. They have certain minimum standards, many based upon the idea of future needs and continuing return on their library. Netflix does not simply go by specs, but actually tests the products for evaluation in deliverables. VariCam cameras deliver beyond the minimum specs required, and have been very popular for Netflix original production. Some other cameras not so much. Netflix will allow other cameras on a case-by-case basis.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

6. Collapse Details
    Like I said on another thread. They'll take something if they think it'll make them money.

I'll use a different example here. When Blair Witch was picked up. Other buyers laughed at the guys who bought it. But they knew they could market it and make money.

I just don't think at the time they knew they where going to make that much.

7. Collapse Details
    When you are a production company putting up 20 to 60 million for a feature you are producing and your business is streaming content, you are going to future proof your investment...as Netflix has demonstrated repeatedly, they are not a naive company...I would say it's actually the studios that are becoming caught up in producing sequels of superhero movies for 13 year old boys, and fairly little else that's relevant, that will be left behind. For streaming already produced content, their criteria is of course completely different...anyway, if one pitches them, and they decide to produce a project, $40,000 worth of camera package is hardly going to stand in the way of getting one's project done...their money equals their rules!

8. Collapse Details
    Netflix has stringent standards because they are both a producer of content as well as a distributor. As such they have to look at the long term. In general they want 4K in either RAW or 444 Log, and usually at least 12-bit. There's a lot of leeway in this and as I said they evaluate cameras as well as individual production needs, but in general you should expect to use something from their approved list if you want to make product for them. Frankly, unlike other outfits, I find Netflix to be quite level headed and well considered in this regard. There are some places that use old deliverable standards culled from various sources that are actually at odds with one another and don't make much sense.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Netflix has a technology team that evaluates the different gear to be used in production & post on their projects. They have certain minimum standards, many based upon the idea of future needs and continuing return on their library. Netflix does not simply go by specs, but actually tests the products for evaluation in deliverables. VariCam cameras deliver beyond the minimum specs required, and have been very popular for Netflix original production. Some other cameras not so much. Netflix will allow other cameras on a case-by-case basis.
    Agree completely with you here...IMO Netflix will continue to put the Varicam on the map, as they up the percentage of their own produced content...and that will in turn translate into more theatrical releases. As more DP's use the Varicam, word gets around.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
    they see everything in terms of specs. If Picasso were alive today, would Netflix tell him to create art on the 12.9" iPad
    I get what you're saying, but it's nothing new. The Hollywood studios of yore also usually required that you to shoot on 35mm.

I bet even Picasso preferred name-brand paints and brushes. Technical excellence and artistic vision go hand in hand, and every artist would prefer also to be technically excellent. But like you said, Parkinson's Law of Triviality tempts every artist to overfocus on the technical and not enough on the vision.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast