1. Collapse Details
    My last project with the AF100, and what it can do.
    I sincerely submit this in regards to what the AF100 can do, not as self-promotion!

This is Episode 8 of an 8-part web series I created with my writing/production partner. A dramedy/comedy series with a focus on characters/performance/writing, so the visual style I went for was fairly straightforward. Mostly locked off shots with little movement. The karaoke scene was 1 of 2 scenes in the series where I went handheld as they called for a more dynamic feel.

https://vimeo.com/221748722

I'm posting this episode specifically because it has a mix of outdoor and indoor scenes, as well as mixed light. This episode as well as all the others were shot with the 35mm and 85mm Zeiss ZF.2 primes, and the very occasional wide using that stock 14-140 Lumix lens. All lighting was done with a 3-light Lowell tungsten kit and practicals. And no external recording, just internally to SD cards. I always dialed in the look I wanted as close as I could get it before shooting, so that post CC and grading on the 8-bit 4:2:0 were minimal.

For 6 years, I was consistently surprised by the cinematic images I could get out of the AF100 when treated correctly. Minimizing its weaknesses wherever possible (such as low DR) and getting 90% of your look in camera were key. And of course lighting and composition too! There are certainly flaws with some of my images. You'll get some blazing neon yellow grass or foliage here and there due to the 10ish stops of DR, ha! But other than shooting outside with a mix of shadow and bright sun, the AF100 produces great images.

I got my AF100 in Fall 2011 and have used it on almost every corporate and personal project since. A few months ago I made an (insane) upgrade to the VARICAM LT, so it's time to retire the ol' boy. But I'm proud of this last project, and I guess I created this post because I'm sure there are resource-hungry and/or beginning videographers/cinematographers who are looking for low cost gear to work with, and I can't recommend the AF100 enough. It's like 6 years old now, and there are plenty of new and cheap options obviously, but this camera is a true work horse.

Not saying at all that my little web series is some visual masterpiece, only hoping to make the point that you can really make some solid stuff, with very minimal gear (typed as he ogles his LT sitting on the tripod).

Happy to discuss anything regarding the camera or project etc if anyone is interested!
    Last edited by Straw Man; 06-16-2017 at 11:52 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Nice job Straw Man. The first few shots of your video is what the AF100 does best, low DR shot with pretty colors and filmic bokeh. One of my favorite videos that I've shot https://youtu.be/8_MTi68MMRw was all AF with Lumix 12-35 & 70s/80s/90s Nikon primes. Keep the DR within range of the sensor's ability and it is a great looking camera. If I remember correctly I used stock "Spark" look and there was next to no grading as I know as it was turned around fast. I still have the camera, but haven't used it for anything cinematic for a while. I think the AF100 looks better than my much newer AJ-PX270 for a some shooting needs. My FS7 is why I'll never go back to AF100 for anything cinematic, but thanks for reminding me how great the AF can look for WYSIWYG without the need for Log. FS7 can't get that look without Log / grading which is hilarious!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks! Yes in low DR the AF100 just looks great. Love Panasonic color. I just shot a short film on the LT and I'm looking forward to grading it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    You did a good job on that. The AF100 looks nice. The actors played convincing roles. I like the song at the end

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks firehawk! The big advantage of working in Chicago is it's loaded with talented comedians/improvisors who are great actors as well, and everybody loves to collaborate.

6. Collapse Details
    Except for the way the camera handles highlight roll off that footage looks pretty great. Probably more of the talent behind the camera than the camera itself, so good job straw man.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks very much Fahnon!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Straw Man View Post
    I'm posting this episode specifically because it has a mix of outdoor and indoor scenes, as well as mixed light. This episode as well as all the others were shot with the 35mm and 85mm Zeiss ZF.2 primes, and the very occasional wide using that stock 14-140 Lumix lens.
    Oh wow, surprised you made so little use of any wider lenses. Not even using the Zeiss on a speedbooster? Would have expected say the ZF.2 25mm being used in the mix a bit, with a speedbooster too.

9. Collapse Details
    Anything I needed wider than the 35, I used the 14-140, and I tried to use it sparingly due to the quality and characteristic differences between it and the zeiss lenses. I'd have loved to use wider Zeiss lenses but there was no budget for renting additional stuff, so I got it done with the tools on-hand. I did use the ZE 21mm for a short film in the spring and will probably try to add one to my kit eventually.

10. Collapse Details
    That was great (I'll have to look for the rest of the series)! I'll be continuing to use my AF100... exactly for the reasons in your OP. I love the images you captured, the look, the feel...just beautiful to my eye.
    But, besides all that it comes down to the story & acting and THAT was brilliant! Really well done.