1. Collapse Details
    business card question
    I just want to push this past you professionals for your serious opinion.

I have a Bachelors and MFA in film production and wanted to know if it is appropriate to
    put that on a business card. The reason why I ask is because a friend in the field told me
    after graduation that I now could do that. Okay, I never heard of this but apparently she
    does have it on her cards.

So my question is, does this seem tacky or is it acceptable? What do you think?

2. Collapse Details
    Personally, I think that information should stay on your resume. (But, depending on the situation and your education, I am not totally against it either.)

As foolish as this may sound, placing it on the card may annoy some people in this industry. You never know who's making decisions. Most of the time, you'll have an opportunity to discuss your education in an interview with any potential employer. Even if they don't ask, you can create a strategy on how to bring it up.

If you think your personal education/experience is really worth seeing on the card, maybe consider looking at some samples of how others do it. I have seen doctors and lawyers (usually younger ones) share their ivy league and/or other prestigious university info, but that's a different life.

It's also going to depend on the job you're looking for. Honestly, I don't think a production company is going to care where you went to school if they are just looking for a good videographer with good old-fashioned experience.

But on the other hand, passing it along to a Fortune 500 client may impress if you're a producer interested in their account.

Maybe have two versions of the cards and use them both, haha.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The answer is "it depends" It you are a known name then it does not matter. IF you have a portfolio behind you then that will speak louder than the letters after your name. If you are new to the game it may help to show you have at least passed a degree (this implies several years of hard work and to a minimum standard) that will get you the crack in the door enough to show them your CV and portfolio.

It depends on location, culture and industry.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I would not put it on there. Leaves the impression of a newbie trying too hard. As a graphic artist who has done hundreds of cards, I would say the top end businesses usually have the cleanest most minimal cards. In a followup conversation you can discreetly drop film school info into the mix.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you for all your advice. I will keep it all very simple as has been suggested.

6. Collapse Details
    As a more general question, what are all you guys putting as your title on your business cards?

Do you list all the roles you can fill (ie Camera Operator/AC/DIT/Grip)? Perhaps use a single generic term like "Television production"? Or maybe one of those trendy, vague, key-word titles like "Content Creator" or "Screen Creative"?

Most people in film and television will be able to fill more than one role on set or in post - and many others do it all themselves as a one man band anyway - so how do you market yourself in such a way without either: a) Sounding too vague, or b) Confusing people
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 | Shogun Inferno | Sony A7s
    Adobe CC 2015

7. Collapse Details
    At the moment I am independent so I just specify "owner" under my name and company name. I also spell out the areas that I am best at under "video production", mostly above-the-line job titles. I used the titles that are most familiar to people because most of my work is outside of the industry.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all these replies and good question! It's helpful to hear from professionals about this.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    what are all you guys putting as your title
    This is a recurring question:

One-man-band freelancers: What title did you give yourself?
    Cinematographer versus Photographer