Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by emilian View Post
    Well both lens sets are about 2 years now into the worls, so lets bump this topic up
    Sigmas for work.

2. Collapse Details
    Great information ...

I have been toying with the idea of a SLR Magic 70 anamorphic ... but that would come close to 1.5 of these ... and I
    assume that they will see more use.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Great information ...

I have been toying with the idea of a SLR Magic 70 anamorphic ... but that would come close to 1.5 of these ... and I
    assume that they will see more use.
    Generally speaking, spherical lenses would be more useful to the "everyday" shooter and in more situations. It's not out of the ordinary for me to shoot interviews and b-roll that are quick-turn and fed in via something like a LiveU to be "on-the-air" same day, where little to no post is done, so no one is going to be de-squeezing the image. I've even shot multi-cam sit-down interviews and sent them "down-the-line" live as it was happening so that they could be cut and put together as quickly as possible. Yes, we were shooting on cine cameras and in 24 and with primes, but it still had to be turned in a few hours.

To me, anamorphics are very specialized and niche, despite everyone "wanting them". Kinda like all of these special edition soft lenses that everyone is putting out, as well. Very specialized. You'll get way more use out of a clean spherical lens, especially if you serve multiple clients and markets.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, a straightforward set of spherical primes are not the lenses you want but the lenses you need

5. Collapse Details
    I'm a huge fan of the Sigma lenses, Art and Cine (same optics). They've gotta be the best bang/buck lens out there right now. They've got ZERO character, but that's more often than not a good thing. You can "add" to it with filters and the like, but a lot of clients just want a clean, neutral look like the Sigmas provide. They're also very sharp wide-open which is nice.
    KENNY McMILLAN
    www.owlbot.co
    @_owlbot

6. Collapse Details
    The only complaint I've heard about Sigmas is the Art series autofocus performance (from photographers). I wonder if they manage good video AF on the latest Canons

7. Collapse Details
    I can only speak to the 85 F1.4 Art on the 1DX III .... great stills AF but even on the slowest AF focus rack speed ... too fast for me.

Which is why I am sending it out in trade for the Cine version .... along with the Canon 50 1.2L.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owlbot View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Sigma lenses, Art and Cine (same optics). They've gotta be the best bang/buck lens out there right now. They've got ZERO character, but that's more often than not a good thing. You can "add" to it with filters and the like, but a lot of clients just want a clean, neutral look like the Sigmas provide. They're also very sharp wide-open which is nice.
    Yep. You can dirty up a clean lens. You can't clean up a soft, flare prone lens. I'll take neutral and sharp all day, everyday. If you really feel like you need to "take the edge off", there are almost countless filters to do just that, from 'almost imperceptible' to 'WTF are you thinking?'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12