Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Why not? Maybe he wants some more educated feedback from colleagues in the business more than just band fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
    Yeah..... I'm not really looking for views, nor would this be the place for that...
    I post on here to get feedback from film makers, not random people, that should be pretty obvious.....
    Just asking, I've seen it happen several times before. No harm, no foul.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    253
    Default
    It may very well be the best music video posted on this forum. It is an excellent production. I would not be concerned with a story, as some have mentioned. A story depends on the type of song and the lyrics. This song is pure emotion. Anger and hate predominate. You captured the emotion well. The band is also exceptional in that genre. Which is fortunate for you. Everything you did fits well with the music and is really pleasing to watch. Keep doing what you are doing. Great job.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,855
    Default
    Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are along the lines of very nice job. Great quality visuals but I did not want to follow the story and the items did not seem connected.

    I would like to ask an outside question if that is ok? How is the business of making music videos these days? Is this a profit project for you? I noticed the camera used and production values are high but it seems these days videos only play on YouTube and a website etc... I don't see where the revenue comes from? The band's pocket? The "record label"? Just wondering because it seems like these projects are like a sprint to the finish line on the one single opportunity to cram it in on a day... All because money is tight. I would like to hear your thoughts on the project form a business point of view. Thanks!


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member emretufekci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    734
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are along the lines of very nice job. Great quality visuals but I did not want to follow the story and the items did not seem connected.

    I would like to ask an outside question if that is ok? How is the business of making music videos these days? Is this a profit project for you? I noticed the camera used and production values are high but it seems these days videos only play on YouTube and a website etc... I don't see where the revenue comes from? The band's pocket? The "record label"? Just wondering because it seems like these projects are like a sprint to the finish line on the one single opportunity to cram it in on a day... All because money is tight. I would like to hear your thoughts on the project form a business point of view. Thanks!
    great questions, how about a write about the process, gear and schedule as well.
    Emre Tufekci S.O.A.http://www.productionpit.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    116
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are along the lines of very nice job. Great quality visuals but I did not want to follow the story and the items did not seem connected.

    I would like to ask an outside question if that is ok? How is the business of making music videos these days? Is this a profit project for you? I noticed the camera used and production values are high but it seems these days videos only play on YouTube and a website etc... I don't see where the revenue comes from? The band's pocket? The "record label"? Just wondering because it seems like these projects are like a sprint to the finish line on the one single opportunity to cram it in on a day... All because money is tight. I would like to hear your thoughts on the project form a business point of view. Thanks!
    I'm happy to answer anything I'm allowed to talk about.
    To be honest I haven't been doing this very long. I bought my first DSLR about 4 years ago and had never shot or edited anything. I'm still young I'm 27. So I'm still learning the ropes. But from my experience music videos are tough just like most other fields. With TV pretty much being obsolete it's harder for people to profit off them. You can still profit but they're also largely used as advertisement and marketing. For example to help boost first week sales of a bands album release.
    As far as the film making side of it, you generally having nothing to do with that. You're given a flat fee (your budget) for the project from a record label or directly from an artist or band if they're self funding. You generally don't see additional money unless you have some kind of other agreement. There's definitely money in it. A lot of money? I don't think so. But I've been lucky enough to work on some big sets with people like Director X. That guy definitely has money and makes money doing music videos. He's top tier though.

    I can't discuss what the budget was for this particular project but I can tell you what the process was.
    About a month-month and half of pre production planning. Mainly myself and my 2 producers. 2 day shoot. We used the alexa mini with leica lenses. Ronin for stabilized shots. Anything handheld was a simple shoulder rig with some handle bars. And a 21 foot jib. No dolly's or anything. Fairly simple when you get down to it. Lighting wasn't too complex either. Had 3 tube lights that could change a few colors, used wraps on them. The rest was HMI's and lycos with gels.

    If anyone has any other specific questions I'm happy to answer.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    HellOnEarth, Noflag
    Posts
    3,431
    Default
    1. Size of crew is always interesting
    2. How much shooting time for the band, how much for the b-roll?
    3. How was your shooting ratio, what percentage ended up in the final cut?
    4. How many music vids have you shot so far?
    5. All on the job training or any formal (film school) education?
    &. Was there a vegan option at catering
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    116
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    1. Size of crew is always interesting
    2. How much shooting time for the band, how much for the b-roll?
    3. How was your shooting ratio, what percentage ended up in the final cut?
    4. How many music vids have you shot so far?
    5. All on the job training or any formal (film school) education?
    &. Was there a vegan option at catering
    1. Crew: Key grip, 2 gaffers, DP, Camera operator, 1st AC, 2nd AC, Jib operator, 2 producers, 4 PA's, SFX, sfx assistant.

    2. Band performance was 12 hour day. Probably shooting for 7-8 hrs. B-roll was 14 hour day, shooting for probably 10-11hrs.

    3. Almost everything shot ended up in the cut.

    4. A good amount, but not A LOT. My better stuff can be found on my website: www.naughtymantis.com

    5. Non whatsoever. I went to university of Youtube ;) All self taught.

    6. I am vegan so of course there was vegan friendly catering ;)


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    7,387
    Default
    1. Playback speed for audio and frame rate you shot at? A lot of MVs seem to speed up playback, shoot at 50p or 60p and then conform to a 24p timeline to get that fluid almost slow motion look but not slow motion. Did you do that?
    2. Playback system used? Boom box or PA system or ?
    3. Lens package used, which was your favorite lens and focal length and why?
    4. Any issues with flicker?
    5. I will check out your website but have you directed MVs in all musical styles or just rock/metal? If you've done different styles, which is your favorite and why?
    6. Any optical filters used on shoot?
    7. Your favorite rental house and why?
    8. Stage you shot on was in Hollywood or LA or ?
    9. Who is your idol/role model MV director and why?
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    116
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    1. Playback speed for audio and frame rate you shot at? A lot of MVs seem to speed up playback, shoot at 50p or 60p and then conform to a 24p timeline to get that fluid almost slow motion look but not slow motion. Did you do that?
    2. Playback system used? Boom box or PA system or ?
    3. Lens package used, which was your favorite lens and focal length and why?
    4. Any issues with flicker?
    5. I will check out your website but have you directed MVs in all musical styles or just rock/metal? If you've done different styles, which is your favorite and why?
    6. Any optical filters used on shoot?
    7. Your favorite rental house and why?
    8. Stage you shot on was in Hollywood or LA or ?
    9. Who is your idol/role model MV director and why?
    1. No but I've done that in almost every other video I've directed. Check out any MV on my site and you'll probably see that effect. This one was shot in 24fps for most performance. Aside from some occasional slowmo in 120fps. All b-roll was 24fps or 60fps.
    2. PA system
    3. Leica lenses. Honestly I was upset about this, the whole thing had been planned to shoot with anamorphics and the deal fell through last minute. But can't complain the lenses still look good. Shot with 19mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. 19 was my fav simply cause it helped show off the location and depth for a lot of the shots
    4. No real flicker issues, made sure ahead of time we wouldnt run into this. Occasionally depending on how close we were to the LED wall there would be some flickering but we fixed easily by adjusting shutter.
    5. Mainly rock/indie/metal.
    6. Yes, we used a device that looks like half of a magnifying glass, you can see the effect scattered through out shots in the video. Very simple, just waving it infront of the lens manually, so half the image is in focus and the other half looks a little distorted.
    7. I don't do a lot of big production stuff yet so I haven't been able to work with that many different rental houses. The ones I've used on this and some past projects have not been easy to work with.
    8. Near downtown LA.
    9. Gaspar Noe. He directed Irreversible and Enter The Void. 2 of my favorite films. Mind blowing acting, and storytelling and amazing camera work and movement and visuals. His cinematographer (Benoit Debbie) is unbelievably good and a huge inspiration. If youve ever seen Neon Demon you'll know exactly where I got inspiration for this music video and a lot of the camera movement.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    11
    Default
    Nice vid Neutral ;) do you play the drums in the band ?


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •