Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    As others have noted, the compatibility issues with GH5 10-bit files have nothing to do with the internal precision of the NLE. The issue arises out of how the NLE tries to parse the H264 data. There are many supported variations (profiles) and variations amongst those profiles (levels.) Only certain H264 profiles support 10bit encoding, and not all encoders and decoders support all profiles. A given encoder (in this case, the camera) may have quirks, as well. Much of Premiere was rewritten between CS6 and CC17, how it handles H264 files changed (probably in an attempt to decode more efficiently.)

Some hardware, notably Intel chips, handle H264 decoding. Some operating systems handle H264 decoding. Some software takes advantage of this infrastructure and offloads the decoding to the OS, or even directly tot he hardware. In these cases, the software inherits the infrastructure's capabilities and limitations. This can explain why some users were able to handle the footage and other not, even using the same software.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I never updated from 11.0x on Premiere, so never ran into these problems.

I have seen it is supposedly fixed now in the newest Premiere update. I just wanted to confirm that I am safe to update, and it's not a "oops, thought we fixed it, BUT..."

3. Collapse Details
    Also interested to know if there is a fix in the latest Premier PP CC? This has been holding me off buying the camera body for B-Cam.

4. Collapse Details
    Has anyone noticed a click on edits/cuts in Premier. I have these odd clicks in every seems for a clip on some test renders of cine 4K 10bit rendered to 1080.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I never updated from 11.0x on Premiere, so never ran into these problems.

I have seen it is supposedly fixed now in the newest Premiere update. I just wanted to confirm that I am safe to update, and it's not a "oops, thought we fixed it, BUT..."
    So can anyone confirm that the latest version of Premiere does indeed play nice with GH5 vlog/10-bit/4:22 ?

Still holding out on the update...

6. Collapse Details
    It appears to play nice although not as smoothly as DNx files from the Atomos. I hardly use the in-camera files much at all, perhaps two or three times since the upgrade. What I did notice is that while in-camera play ok, when I select a frame with the playhead to work on an effect, as soon as I go into the effect control, the program monitor jumps to the first frame of the clip instead of the one where I placed the play-head. The playhead doesn't move. I haven't had time to explore the 'feature' any further, probably pilot error of some sort (although it doesn't happen with the DNx files) as I've been able to complete the tasks and have other fish to fry. . .

7. Collapse Details
    Maybe I'll just wait for the next patch to upgrade and keep rocking the current version from early 2017, pre GH5 launch. Seems to have no issues. Weird.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Maybe I'll just wait for the next patch to upgrade and keep rocking the current version from early 2017, pre GH5 launch. Seems to have no issues. Weird.
    You may want to be careful with that early 2017 version of PP. I think I remember hearing that version was implicated in the Cinema5D controversy where their test declared the GH5 10 bit Vlog 'Unusable' and later retracted the test. I vaguely recall reading that what they saw in the test was actually a PP problem, but I don't recall the details. Also seem to recall hearing that had something to do with why the 10bit didn't work in the previous update.

9. Collapse Details
    Ahh good to know. Alright. If I update before I grade + finish the project and export, all will work well yes? Doesn't matter that it's been started in older version?

10. Collapse Details
    I had several projects in progress when I upgraded and saw no issues with older projects working in the new version. But I took the risk as a hobbyist and not someone working on a commercial project. Mine was a pretty low-consequence decision.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234