Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I completely understand why we had fractional frame rates and the technical limitations of the time that necessitated them, but those don’t exist anymore. It just seems like at this point in time, they cause more of a headache than actually solve a problem(that doesn’t exist anymore).

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I completely understand why we had fractional frame rates and the technical limitations of the time that necessitated them, but those don’t exist anymore. It just seems like at this point in time, they cause more of a headache than actually solve a problem(that doesn’t exist anymore).
    One problem that still exists is that many people don't throw away production equipment (such as monitors or external recorders) that still work perfectly well, and will accept Interlaced or Psf signals, but not completely Progressive signals. So there is a transition period during which the engineers need to figure out ways to make things work. Psf was essentially a way to be able to display progressive signals from a camera on monitors that would only work with interlaced. It essentially allowed companies to upgrade their cameras while still using their older monitors.

I believe that in the EVA1 output menus, for instance, when shooting in UHD 30p you can select whether you want your 1080 SDI output to be PsF or Progressive -- however the only selection when outputting 3840p through SDI is Progressive.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    There are still people sitting in their living rooms watching analog 4:3 SD interlaced CRTís, too. And there are people out there shooting content in 8K progressive scan... At some point, the band-aid should be ripped off and I think they missed a good opportunity to do it. The compatibility problem with legacy equipment could have been taken care of in post or transmission, Iím sure. I think there are a lot of monitors/tvís on the consumer end that are capable of handling and displaying true 24hz material and have been for a while.
    You can take your case to the FCC. Until then broadcasters need to be compliant and we need to sell them the products they need.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    You can take your case to the FCC. Until then broadcasters need to be compliant and we need to sell them the products they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    I believe that in the EVA1 output menus, for instance, when shooting in UHD 30p you can select whether you want your 1080 SDI output to be PsF or Progressive -- however the only selection when outputting 3840p through SDI is Progressive.
    Would it be possible to add this option to the LT as a compromise? Dealing with .psf outputs in a relatively modern broadcasting environment (for a high school at least) is a huge pain (as OP mentioned in his first post).

Have any of the other suggestions been considered?
    Carlos Garcia-Diaz
    TV Production/Studio Manager

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Agreed...I regularly intake 23.98 (viewfinder output) for external monitoring and have to convert the 23.98psf to 23.98p externally to make it compatible with the rest of my workflow. On my current show, we need to be as low latency as possible and this has forced us to monitor 59.94i, which opens up other problems. It seems to me that the 59.94i covers legacy monitoring while a true progressive (23.98p, 30p) option would work with the vast majority of users that are using modern workflows. Other cameras do this...
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    We have requested this to the engineers. I do not know what is possible.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    however the only selection when outputting 3840p through SDI is Progressive.
    Why do you need interlaced on a UHD signal? What's next? A 7.5 IRE setup?

I think it is a blessing that UHD does not allow sending interlaced signals.

The problem with the broadcasting industry is that they refuse to innovate.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Why do you need interlaced on a UHD signal? What's next? A 7.5 IRE setup?

I think it is a blessing that UHD does not allow sending interlaced signals.

The problem with the broadcasting industry is that they refuse to innovate.
    I wasn't complaining -- only indicating the way the menus are structured.
    I personally think it does make sense to provide the options for 1080 P or PsF (which I occasionally need to set/change to make a specific monitor or VF work) And yes, you are right that they are not needed for UHD.

9. Collapse Details
    Any word on embedding TC and audio to the VF SDI?

10. Collapse Details
    Not yet. We did make the request and explain the workflow reasoning. The pathway structure in the camera was not originally set up for this so the engineers will need to determine if it is possible to incorporate these signals.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast