Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    I just ordered the 35-100mm f/2.8 mark 2 and I may want to get another lens, I am doubting between:

Panasonic 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0
    I like this lens because of its range. Very handy when you want to go out with just one lens.

Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8
    I had the mark 1 before and I know this is a really fine lens with great color renditions. Fits well with the 35-100mm but for a single lens it is rather limited.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
    With the speedbooster you can get a nice 13-25mm lens and with the 1.4 magnification option you can cover the full range of the 12-35mm Panasonic. Disadvantage is it does not work with dual IS.

Any feedback on what to get?
    Seems like it all comes down to your need for speed: nothing can match the 18-35/1.8 Sigma's two stop light gain over the 12-35, but it's at the considerable cost of a relatively huge 2lb+ lens/SB combo, and a very restricted reach. I already have the 12-35, and plan to order the 35-100. But if in your situation I'd get the extra reach of the P_L 12-60, with only a half-stop loss at 35mm - a minimal price on the low-light video end, but a really great utility lens, which the Sima definitely isn't.

2. Collapse Details
    Bought the Leica 12-60 as an afterthought...because of the electronic focus pull feature on the GH5...the lens turned out to be a real pleasure and surprise...for an all metal housing it's impossibly light...I also have the 25mm Leica 1.4...the Panny 20mm and the old 14-140...I can't speak for the 12-35, but there is optically no comparison between the Leicas and the Panny's...the only thing in common is they are light...optically the Leica is a Leica....The Leica falls off immediately aperture wise as you start zooming...I don't so irrelevant to me...so that's something to consider...for my purposes the 2.8 works for interiors and the extra reach I need for outdoors...the Leica also has a filter thread which was important to me...and lastly, but for me perhaps most importantly...Panny Leica is about to release the same lens in a 8-18 2.8-4.0...it's already out in some country's ....still preorder at B&H...but with these 2 lenses and I'm thinking Olympus 75mm 1.8, you have a featherlight shooting package for under $3000 for the glass!...a killer combo with the GH5...

3. Collapse Details
    fboonzaier, so you would say the optical quality and aesthetic of the leica is hands down better than the lumix? This was a main question for me. I'd love to see any comparisons if possible (I can see samples of both lenses online, but that can vary so much as the content and creator are different). Seeing similar content in same user hands to compare would be super helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I received the 35-100mm and it does not disappoint, it has a similar color/contrast rendition as the 12-35mm mark 1.
    Wonderful lens and super snappy zoom.

Here is a small test made with the 35-100m lens in Mission Dolores Park, San Francisco, interspersed with the Tokina 11-16mm with a speed booster ultra.
    I tried to correct it a bit in post but the color/contrast rendition of the Tokina is far behind the Panasonic, not to speak of the softness and ca of the lens.

Content is currently blocked in the USA and should be available shortly as the music (public domain) is currently incorrectly content-id-ed and has been disputed.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 06-17-2017 at 01:50 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    The 12-35/2.8, & 35-100/2.8, are my workhorse lenses when using m4/3. Been thinking of adding a 12-60mm as a backup in case one of the workhorses goes down, but typically I'd choose to work with the faster f/2.8 lenses.

Currently I own the PanaLeica 12/1.4, 15/1.7, 25/1.4, 42.5/1.2, & 45/2.8 Macro. They're all fine lenses, especially the 12/1.4, & 42.5/1.2, but believe they're really just Panasonic lenses with Leica branding attached, which I'm totally fine with.

Leica and Panasonic became strategic partners in 1997. “For the Leica certification, we had to work very hard to achieve lenses that had high performance, high resolution, minimum aberrations, and pleasing bokeh effects that were soft and smooth. Leica’s tradition of best performance at wide apertures continues here, along with great resolution, smooth bokehs and smooth skin textures.”

http://www.fdtimes.com/2016/01/09/pa...-factory-tour/
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 06-17-2017 at 11:06 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    fboonzaier, so you would say the optical quality and aesthetic of the leica is hands down better than the lumix? This was a main question for me. I'd love to see any comparisons if possible (I can see samples of both lenses online, but that can vary so much as the content and creator are different). Seeing similar content in same user hands to compare would be super helpful.
    I can't give you a comparison between the 12-60 Leica and the Panny 12-35..I don't own the 12-35..like you, I looked at footage online and when the 12-60 became available, bought the Leica...I own very few Native lenses and bought this for use with the Focus transition feature on the GH5, which I just received yesterday....I already own the 25 Leica 1.4 and the 20mm Panny 1.7...I can say I personally prefer the look of the Leica 25 to the 20 Panny, though the latter is excellent (came on a camera I bought for my daughter)...the choice is really subjective...and I don't zoom lenses...ever....so the 2.8 constant is irrelevant for me...and now that the 8-18 is available, I'm very happy with my choice...I'll get that too, to match with the 12-60...lastly the 60 end reach of the Leica was also instrumental in my choice over the 12-35 and for me trumped the f2.8 on the Panny or for that matter choosing the Olympus 12-40...as I already own a Sigma 18-35, I know that sometimes that extra reach is much needed for me...this does not help you in your choice, but it explains my thinking and needs with the 12-60...
    Edit:...I moved to Quito from the US...everything I buy now, is brought in for me...if you've not bought yet, and depending on your location, I would suggest a visit to a shop where you can try both...the just released 8-18 Leica makes a compelling argument for the 12-60, as you would land up with an amazing set of lenses for $2100.
    Last edited by fboonzaier; 06-17-2017 at 10:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Here is the same video as above but without sound as the copyright dispute is still not resolved.

8. Collapse Details
    If you want a walking around lens with reach and dual IS just grab the 14 - 140 for half the price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ois_lens.html
    Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
    Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

9. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't let Dual IS impact your decision too much. It doesn't add much above what IBIS alone accomplishes.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    I wouldn't let Dual IS impact your decision too much. It doesn't add much above what IBIS alone accomplishes.
    The GH5 seems to do just fine without the Dual IS....used on legacy lenses I personally do not see a lot of difference...I really think it's a choice between the longer reach or the constant 2.8...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast