Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lumix 12-35 vs Leica 12-60
    Why would you ever choose the Lumix 12-35 over the Leica 12-60?

I understand both have Dual IS? And Leica is variable aperture, but I am assuming not until after around 35mm once it hits the extended range?

And the Leica would seem to have better IQ and character?

2. Collapse Details
    For starters the 12-60 is for all intents and purposes a f/4.0 lens (only the widest range is actually f/2.8).
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 06-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    For me, the range of the 12-60 would trump the half-stop light loss by 35mm, as I find myself too often too short with the 12-35. The 12-60 seems great walk-around lens.

But for the video work I do I'll probably end up with the 35-100/2.8-II on the handheld GH5 B-cam for orchestral close shots. Now using ancient 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 135/3.5 Nikkors since the great IBIS...but I dream of AF and no lens changes fumbles in the dark!

4. Collapse Details
    Oh, I didn't realize it dropped off in that regard. I see for the Lecia that:

12-25mm its f/2.8
    25-40mm its f/3.5
    40mm+ its f/4

So all else equal, that's +1 for the Lumix...

How about the overall lens character and image rendition on the Leica VS the Lumix?

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpowell View Post
    Here's one solution to your dilemma...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...tal-ed/review/
    No Dual IS

7. Collapse Details
    Just got my GH5 along with the Leica 12-60 and I really like the lens. It is incredibly small and light (coming from Canon), well build, nice zoom and focus rings, absolutely noiseless, good AF, Dual IS is fantastic and the image quality seems to be nice, too. The focal length is great for a walk around lens, especially when you count in the extra tele conversion, which is 1.4x in 4K-Mode and turns the 60mm into 84mm without any visible loss of image quality. Outdoors I use it as a constant F4 or 5.6 with a variable ND-filter, indoors I can use it at 12mm with F2.8 and also have the ability to jump to 17mm with the extra tele conversion. For lowlight I am thinking about adding a wide-angle prime to my kit, something like the 12 1.4 or 15 1.7.

8. Collapse Details
    I just ordered the 35-100mm f/2.8 mark 2 and I may want to get another lens, I am doubting between:

Panasonic 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0
    I like this lens because of its range. Very handy when you want to go out with just one lens.

Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8
    I had the mark 1 before and I know this is a really fine lens with great color renditions. Fits well with the 35-100mm but for a single lens it is rather limited.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
    With the speedbooster you can get a nice 13-25mm lens and with the 1.4 magnification option you can cover the full range of the 12-35mm Panasonic. Disadvantage is it does not work with dual IS.

Any feedback on what to get?

9. Collapse Details
    From what I am reading here, 12-35, unless the character of the Leica is that much better (which no one has commented on).

I don't think 12-35 is that limited when a lens swap only takes moments to the 35-100. I have a hard time working with lenses that change my aperture on me as I zoom, and so constant aperture is a big deal.

Also for the M43 format I feel speed is very important. That extra stop makes a big difference in light and DOF and that's important on this small sensor size.

But, how is the character of the image on the Leica vs the Lumix? And do you need the extra reach in the same lens frequently? Would you still use the 35-100 much? Do you prefer 35-60mm at f/2.8 over f/4.0? Are you in scenarios where the 10 second lens swap is untenable and the slower 35-60 range is worth the tradeoff?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    But, how is the character of the image on the Leica vs the Lumix? And do you need the extra reach in the same lens frequently? Would you still use the 35-100 much? Do you prefer 35-60mm at f/2.8 over f/4.0? Are you in scenarios where the 10 second lens swap is untenable and the slower 35-60 range is worth the tradeoff?
    Yes that is a big question for me. Anyone know of comparisons between them for overlapping ranges?

I will definitely use the 35-100, that is the perfect range for people, 12-35mm I find too short for that but it is also not very wide.
    I do a lot of shots with the Tokina f/2.8 11-16mm with the speedbooster which turns it into an 8-11mm f/2.0 lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast