1. Collapse Details
    Dealing with The HVX's MXF file problem
    I bought a second hand HVX, but I can't edit it because it splits the MXF Files into one folder for video and another folder for sound, effectively separating the picture from the sound.

How do I sync the picture and the sound files together? What software do I use?

Compounding this problem is the fact that while I can use EditReady to convert the picture files to ProRes, when I try to convert the sound files (which are also in MXF), EditReady doesn't recognise them.

Help!
    Blackmagic 4K Production Camera | Canon XC10 | Panasonic HVX-202 | Panasonic GH2 | Final Cut Pro X

2. Collapse Details
    if you import them through final cut you can pull in solid clips with synced sound. that's how I did it years back when I had an HVX atleast
    www.vanheestvisual.com
    FS7 Owner / Operator
    A7S / Ronin

3. Collapse Details
    Should be fairly straight forward. Copy p2 card. Open FCPX import window and point to location you copied card to. Did you copy everything from the card? You should be copying the Contents Folder and the LASTCLIP.txt file.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

ECHOES DOCUMENTARY - PURCHASE ON VIMEO ON DEMAND - ALL FUNDS GO TO THE CITY OF RIKUZENTAKAKA TO HELP CONTINUE THE REBUILD. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/echoesdocumentary

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Should be fairly straight forward. Copy p2 card. Open FCPX import window and point to location you copied card to. Did you copy everything from the card? You should be copying the Contents Folder and the LASTCLIP.txt file.
    I'll give that a try. It still doesn't resolve the problem I'm having, which is the inability EditReady and VLC have in being able to export the sound files from MXF to ProRes.
    Blackmagic 4K Production Camera | Canon XC10 | Panasonic HVX-202 | Panasonic GH2 | Final Cut Pro X

5. Collapse Details
    Hey,

EditReady will link the audio and video as a single file. YOu just need to make sure to drag and drop the root folder onto the window.

mike

6. Collapse Details
    OK, so I re-read your first post and I notice in your signature that you are using FCP X, so you are on a Mac and it must be fairly new so I am not sure what the problem is? What is "EditReady"? I know what VLC is but why are you trying to export an mxf audio file to proes?

"I'll give that a try. It still doesn't resolve the problem I'm having, which is the inability EditReady and VLC have in being able to export the sound files from MXF to ProRes."

In my FCP X I can import right from the card and I get a Quicktime file audio & video in perfect sync. Not an MXF file wrapped in a QT but an actual QT file that I can then export to anything I want. I can import the contents of the card from my Panasonic reader or the camera or if I use some of the ancient P2 software to import the card contents to a folder I get the same thing. As of a recent update, FCP X converts those pesky MXF files into QT files.

So I guess my question is why are you using these other pieces of software? FCP X will do everything and very quickly. Am I missing something? I find working with the new FCP X and P2 cards to be very easy now, not like the ancient days of 2006

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rc444 View Post
    I'll give that a try. It still doesn't resolve the problem I'm having, which is the inability EditReady and VLC have in being able to export the sound files from MXF to ProRes.
    That is really weird, because I can see that EditReady's website says it can handle P2 footage very plainly, and it grew out of an app that was all about rewrapping camera footage into more usable forms.

To be clear, are you asking EditReady to rewrap the MXF files, or to transcode directly from MXF to ProRes? Might be worth to try rewrapping the MXF files into movs, and then transcoding them to ProRes.

8. Collapse Details
    why are you transcoding the files? just edit the P2 native in FCP.