Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ideal zoom lens for peculiar situation?
    Dear community,
    I am a DP currently working on a low-budget short film which will require the anamorphic look to be achieved, somehow.
    Not having much money at all, the way we'll get there is going to have to be via an anamorphic projection lens attached on to a photographic one, the latter needing to be a zoom with very peculiar characteristics, which I'll enlist down below:

- 58mm front diameter
    - T2.8 maximum aperture
    - Internal zoom
    - 50mm-150mm or 70mm-200mm range.
    - EF mount (or somehow adaptable to EF)

Does anyone know of a lens with such characteristics?
    Thank you for your time.

Filippo

2. Collapse Details
    Unless you need the characteristics associated with anamorphic, e.g. elliptical bokeh, horizontal flares, optical distortion etc., it will be cheaper and easier to shoot with spherical lenses and crop the footage in post to a wide screen aspect ratio.

3. Collapse Details
    That sounds like a nightmare! If you don't have the resources to shoot anamorphic properly, then get yourself a flare filter, shoot spherically and crop to 2.39:1.

If you REALLY need the squeezed bokeh, rent a set of Dog Schidt Optics, with oval irises.

Jury rigged anamorphic adapters are a nightmare, better to shoot spherically and focus your energies on other aspects of the imagery that are important.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Is the camera you are going to be using full frame or is the sensor size smaller than that?

5. Collapse Details
    We are going to be shooting on either RED Epic or Scarlet-W. So both cameras would have a 4:3 Ana mode supporting 2x squeeze.

6. Collapse Details
    It is going to be a nightmare indeed, but I already happen to own most of the elements required in a successful makeshift-anamorphic set-up. I will only need to buy some clamps (for 45) and a decent diopter set for around 100. The total would be significantly less than any rental price for most lenses, and it will give me the opportunity to practice with the set-up for virtually as long as I'll like before the actual shoot, since I also own the camera.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    What about the SLRMagic adapter and their variable diopter for focus? Seems like it should be easier to accomplish. Not sure about the zoom lens though.

8. Collapse Details
    You will never find a zoom with a 58mm front diameter that is also a T2.8.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    You will never find a zoom with a 58mm front diameter that is also a T2.8.
    I understand why that would probably be a very long shot. The maximum I can compromise for is a 4.5, and I am aware of the existence of some 58mm front diameter Soligors, Vivitars and whatnot that do fall in the T3.8-4.5 range and are internal zooms. However, I don't have a clue of how these lenses would perform and they would also probably be needing some sort of adapting solution to Canon EF, which is kind of an ulterior headache. Can you recommend a slightly more modern lens with native EF mount as an alternative?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What about the SLRMagic adapter and their variable diopter for focus? Seems like it should be easier to accomplish. Not sure about the zoom lens though.
    I did look into SLRMagic but that solution, although possibly more practical, would still be significantly more expensive than going with an anamorphic adapter, since there doesn't seem to be a real rental market here in the UK for that kind of thing, and buying is obviously out of the question for aforementioned reasons. Also, the fact that ShareGrid and other similar peer-to-peer renting services haven't really taken off here yet makes this stuff insanely hard to find even if there were single individuals somewhere willing to rent them out privately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast