Thread: Auto ISO on GH5

1. Collapse Details
    Auto ISO on GH5
    Has anyone experimented with "AutoISO" on the GH5?
    I do a lot of event work so I've been giving it a try. In all my experiences thus far, the ISO adjusts perfectly and smoothly, but usually 1 or 2 stops more exposed than acceptable for skin tones.
    Has anyone else noticed this or found a work around? I guess I could cap the limit a little lower than I currently have set, but that would only work in low-light environments.
    It's a bit like autofocus....I really don't often use it or rely on it, but since it's there, I thought I would try to make it work for certain situations.

2. Collapse Details
    *Auto ISO* should be the thread title. Sorry.

3. Collapse Details
    Can't you use exposure compensation to counteract that?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by iain.bason View Post
    Can't you use exposure compensation to counteract that?
    I thought about that, but then I'm just messing with the camera manually again. But yes, that seems like the best alternative. Mostly curious if anyone else has tried/noticed this. I'll try the exposure compensation option this weekend.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianscreations View Post
    I thought about that, but then I'm just messing with the camera manually again. But yes, that seems like the best alternative. Mostly curious if anyone else has tried/noticed this. I'll try the exposure compensation option this weekend.
    Realize that you're dealing with an auto-exposure system that and exposes a scene to an average middle gray level. Dark backgrouds make for overexposed faces, with actors before a black curtain the worst situation; bright backgrounds vice-versa. These obviously require neg. or pos. Exp Comp, and the GH5 gives you all the tools to get it right. "...messing with the camera manually..." is what makes you a photographer rather than a point-and-shooter.

For goodness sakes don't try to use a manually set ISO to take the place of EC, and learn how to use the live "zebras", with their adjustable threshold, to show local facial or other important feature overexposure.

6. Collapse Details
    I have shot a few shows with my GH5 UHD 60P, Auto ISO, with shutter priority 1/60, and exposure compensation at -2 for some and -1 2/3 for the others. Excellent results it is on a tripod essentially unattended while I run a camera myself and I have control with the WiFi app from my Samsung Galaxy TAB A. I used zebras as the guide the same why I shoot on my Sony's that I use unattended. Focus can be controlled from the app too.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
    I have shot a few shows with my GH5 UHD 60P, Auto ISO, with shutter priority 1/60, and exposure compensation at -2 for some and -1 2/3 for the others. Excellent results it is on a tripod essentially unattended while I run a camera myself and I have control with the WiFi app from my Samsung Galaxy TAB A. I used zebras as the guide the same why I shoot on my Sony's that I use unattended. Focus can be controlled from the app too.
    Quite heavy underexposure. Do you have bright subject on dark background?

8. Collapse Details
    All my projects are in the theatre so high contrast. This is about the AE shift level I use on the other small Sony cameras I use in this way too. The GH5 and the small Sony's I used before are used as a full stage camera so there is high contrast within the image with stage lighting. I have done 4 shows now and have found these settings between -1 2/3 and -2.0 to work really well even for covering a single actor in a spot light on stage. Something the little Sony's could not do and would overexpose under these conditions. These settings are needed to avoid zebras on actors faces. Cameras are at back of theatre so maybe 60 to 100 feet away. I am using the new 12-60 f2.8 to f4 lens.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, I had an opportunity to mess with auto ISO a bit more this weekend on a couple of shoots. The exposure compensation works IF you have on a native lens automatic like Panasonic or Olympus. But it won't work with a lot of low-light lenses I use such as the Sigma 18-35/metabones combo or even the m4/3 Voightlander 17mm. With these lenses, I push the EC button and nothing happens for me to adjust. The camera doesn't register that possibility with these lenses.

10. Collapse Details
    If you are going to use any of the auto functions the camera needs all the information it can get to work. So using lenses that do not provide this information is not likely to get the best results. I think with manual lenses you may have to go full manual and use zebras etc to set your exposure.