Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    What are the specs on your editing system and how much faster does v14 run?
    I'm wondering if it will run OK on my late 2013 IMAC 14,2, 3.5Gz, i7, 32G memory w 4G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. Especially for 4K.

Lenny
    PC based, Intel i7 5820K 3.3 ghz 32 gb RAM windows 10 and 2x ssd cache and software disks. Version 14 is a lot faster than version 13 (12,5) esp. playback. Also new sound panel and plays mp3.

The great difference is playback Gopro and DJI files, very smooth now, and playback transitions is now a lot better.

I would say 5-10 times faster than before.
    Producer, publisher. Bad English? Hey, the US president makes misspellings too.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJEDI View Post
    But I really doubt that there would be any appreciation for this awful color noise.
    Note to myself: avoid ISO 16.000 on FS7 under all circumstances!

Alex
    The problem was that I got used to Cine IE, when I switched to Custom the settings for auto Gain was wrong. AGL: Auto Gain Limit was set to 16.000.

Somehow the camera was on auto exposure too.

That is the combination for disaster, filming with a cameralight, exposing right (and not looking for the iris setting or ND filter setting.) The camera does it's job by pushing the Gain. And voila noise.
    Producer, publisher. Bad English? Hey, the US president makes misspellings too.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.G View Post
    Whats the difference between gain and iso?
    For us old farts, video cams had a similar silver toggle switch, which boosted the sensor in dB of gain. ISO/ASA is a film stock measurement. FS7 caters for both.

Rough guide nicked from Abelcine, based on FS100, here:

ISO-dB gain.jpg
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

www.bengiles.co.uk
    @MatoboLtd

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah - looking at this table again I keep wondering why log gammas on all cams I have (FS7, A7Rii and GH5) are using such low ISO that - expressed in dB Gain - it's negative? I've always believed negative gain will shrink DR, which seems counter-productive to the very purpose of log gammas...

Piotr
    Camera: Sony PXW-FS7 (plus A7Rii & GH5 B-cams), Shogun Inferno; lenses: Sony 28-135mm F4, Canon 16-35mm & 24-70mm F4 on Speed Booster
    Editing System: DaVinci Resolve Studio; Asus X-99 Pro/USB31; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; 480 GB SSD system drive; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G driving calibrated Samsung SUHD grading/delivery monitor

5. Collapse Details
    As with audio, "0" gain is not zero. It is a reference gain level for a specified light level hitting the sensor. That establishes the base DR , ISO, SNR specification at the standard middle gray reference.. Increasing gain always decreases DR because it raises the noise floor. Log curves compress shadow levels, essentially progressively raising gain on a curve from a maximum at the bottom to no gain at around 20-30% waveform levels or so. Negative gain in this context is reducing the middle gray scope reference for correct exposure to preserve highlight range.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
    Yeah - looking at this table again I keep wondering why log gammas on all cams I have (FS7, A7Rii and GH5) are using such low ISO that - expressed in dB Gain - it's negative? I've always believed negative gain will shrink DR, which seems counter-productive to the very purpose of log gammas...

Piotr
    Well, that chart is rated or the fs100.....

I believe the numbers would shift slightly based on the cameras native ISO? For example the FS7 has a native rated ISO of 1000, so that would be it's zero dB, right?
    www.vanheestvisual.com
    FS7 Owner / Operator
    A7S / Ronin

7. Collapse Details
    Native ISO depends on the gamma curve I think. Where did you get 1000 ISO from? From Grugs test?

8. Collapse Details
    On the subject of ISO vs gain: http://www.xdcam-user.com/2016/01/iso-fiasco/

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Somehow the camera was on auto exposure too.
    Seriously? How you could possibly do a whole shoot with the camera on auto-exposure and not realize it? I think most people would notice a problem like that in the first 10 seconds. Sounds like you need a pre-flight checklist that covers all the major camera settings. I've created these for clients before who have multiple people who use the gear and it has been a big help to them in avoiding mistakes such as this with exposure, white balance, shutter speed, picture profiles, etc.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by broughtonfilm View Post
    On the subject of ISO vs gain: http://www.xdcam-user.com/2016/01/iso-fiasco/
    Once again, he takes information I've been saying for many years in my camcorder training videos and workshops and paraphrases it as if was his own idea. Look back further in the records and you'll see that he only recently started advising against using ISO on video cameras. I've been consistently warning against it since at least the F3.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast