Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Could not recommend Leeming's LUT enough...for both Vlog and CineD...and the best thing, is afterward excellent online support that is prompt and friendly. After that, the rest is after you and +1 for Thomas' gholf anology lol...grading is extremely subjective and only you can really answer the question as to when your image is there...but the above mentioned LUT gets you to a fantastic starting point instantly IMO

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fboonzaier View Post
    Could not recommend Leeming's LUT enough...for both Vlog and CineD...and the best thing, is afterward excellent online support that is prompt and friendly.
    +1

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    +1
    +2 and I am sure there are many more for and against. Leeming LUT has been a lifesaver for me.

4. Collapse Details
    I used the ARRI rec709 LUT in my example, it produced really great results and especially as a neutral start where you can take it anywhere you want from there.
    Dennis Hingsberg

5. Collapse Details
    I am still not convinced that VLOG is giving the best results on the GH5. I am getting mostly better results and the same dynamic range with Cinelike D.

Hopefully VLOG will get signifiantly better with the Summer firmware update.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by theillestmc12 View Post
    Hey bud. Just made you a quick intro to color correcting vlog. Not sure what your knowledge is in resolve but check it out below. Disclaimer i am no way a professional, just an enthusiast.

https://youtu.be/0aawExWJU60
    at least your mom likes it! lol nice.

Watching your video, I know it works for you, but no it is not really the best/correct way of doing it. You should produce the exact same effect you did with the contrast/pivot knobs but use the gamma/gain dials, then lastly lift to readjust your blacks.

Reserve the contract/pivot knobs for actually adjusting the contrast once you have taken the image from log to REC709..

Again, your way does work, no one can say "it's wrong it doesn't work" I'm just saying "it does work but its not the best way".
    Dennis Hingsberg

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by starcentral View Post
    I used the ARRI rec709 LUT in my example, it produced really great results and especially as a neutral start where you can take it anywhere you want from there.
    Yes!!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by starcentral View Post
    ARRI log and Panasonic V-log are very similar which is yet another reason why I prefer the Panasonic form of log. Even on my Atomos Ninja Blade with the built in luts I can use the ARRI lut for decent results when shooting. It has v-log built in as well but sometimes I find it easier to shoot with the Blade when using the ARRI lut.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    ARRI log and Panasonic V-log are very similar which is yet another reason why I prefer the Panasonic form of log. Even on my Atomos Ninja Blade with the built in luts I can use the ARRI lut for decent results when shooting. It has v-log built in as well but sometimes I find it easier to shoot with the Blade when using the ARRI lut.
    I took a SMPTE bar in Resolve converted it to V-Log using a color space transform and then converting it back with the assumption it is ARRI log footage.

If we only convert the gamma the ARRI levels do show higher but that is a straight forward thing to compensate for.

However if I also convert the color space the colors shift and this will be much harder to correct.
    I will have to note that Resolve 14 Beta 3 does not have a color space transform for V-Log, that is, only the gamma adjustment is currently listed under the color space transform options, so for this test Rec.709 was used.

Assuming the shift is not fully compensated by the V-Gamma if one likes those shifts then no problem but I would question the argument that it is somehow a neutral start.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 06-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12