Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    William Wegman is most famous - at least, to me - for taking photos of his Weimaraner dogs. Those would not work as a video product. As stills, it's hard not to love them.

A short article. (not mine)

https://cute.barkpost.com/life/willi...s-weimaraners/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post

I know the world I live in at the agency. Just curious if others have a similar experience. I do find that working in a higher end photography environment does help sharping all things video.
    Funny. That's exactly the reason I hate food shoots in advertising. People think it's easier than the large exterior or sound stage sets, but it is a nightmare...for the very reason you mention. Like still photography, in food motion work for commercials, the client and agency stand around a tabletop world that is sometimes literally no larger than the top of a table...and I swear, they pick it to death, right down to where the last sesame seed will go. On the large sets (interior or exterior), when the 1st AD shouts "last looks", everyone looks up from the book they are reading or from the text they are writing or from craft services and nod...then we shoot it.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Artistic disciplines? Not all video and photography is art. An amateur can take a photography course in a single day , buy a $5000.00 camera and with any luck snap a 1000 photos and have one so-called masterpiece. Just point and shoot. Not quite the same thing as taking a chunk of marble and fashioning it into the statue of David, or painting the Mona Lisa, or a Van Goah, or composing the 9th symphony.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I think the simplest, least offensive way of saying this is that the barrier to entry is much lower with photography than it is with video, although that barrier is getting lower and lower for video every year.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
    Not quite the same thing as taking a chunk of marble and fashioning it into the statue of David
    Ahhh - that's easy. We all recall Michelangelo's famous quote: "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free,"
    which has been bastardized a bit through the centuries to read, in response to how one can carve such a realistic horse, to "I just carve away anything that doesn't look like a horse." I sure wish I was a genius.

6. Collapse Details
    I'd agree that the barrier to photography is lower than video, which doesn't mean it's good photography. On the other hand, every cell phone has a video camera. People remember in still images, not moving ones.

For me, I like shooting video...I really dread post.
    Sony FS5, A7RII, Fuji XT-3, MacBook Pro

7. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Consider also that habit and tradition come into the mix. After all, people have been taking still photos of weddings and/or brides and grooms since the 1800s. Wedding videography is relatively new. People KNOW they want still photos, and pay through the nose to get a good photographer. Videography seems to be a luxury that many choose to forego.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

8. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
    People remember in still images, not moving ones.
    I'm not sure I agree. People talk about movies they've seen a lot more than about photographs they've seen. Photos can be great for capturing the emotion of a moment, but only video allows you to hear the vows being said. To hear the words of the officiant when he or she says "I now pronounce you..." To hear the music. When the groom chokes up from emotion during his vows, the still camera cannot capture that -- but the video camera can.

Photos help people remember their weddings -- a good wedding video helps them re-LIVE it. And that's how we have to pitch it to the bride and her mother. :-)
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

9. Collapse Details
    If I were getting married today, I would never hire a videographer, I just don't need to relive the wedding in that way, so literally, memories play a lot better for me. A few photos would be fine and I would pay good money for a pro. When you think about it, nobody really looks at wedding videos or photos much anyway past the first month or possibly pulls them out once for the 5th or 10th anniversary. You need one or two good posed ones for the record and for the future to look at when you are old, and that's it. I've never understood the 500 image wedding album or the 2 hour wedding video. Sure, you want a photo to share of the ceremony but what kind of mind thinks that they need hundreds or even thousands of images of a single day? I can't handle the narcism and vanity in society anyway, why are people so wrapped up in how bitchen they look doing everything? Drives me crazy, I hate selfies and people who feel the need to snap or have their picture snapped constantly. Jeez people, get over yourself. And get off of my lawn!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Richardson View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. People talk about movies they've seen a lot more than about photographs they've seen. Photos can be great for capturing the emotion of a moment, but only video allows you to hear the vows being said. To hear the words of the officiant when he or she says "I now pronounce you..." To hear the music. When the groom chokes up from emotion during his vows, the still camera cannot capture that -- but the video camera can.

Photos help people remember their weddings -- a good wedding video helps them re-LIVE it. And that's how we have to pitch it to the bride and her mother. :-)
    A friend of mine told me she was getting married a year ago, I told her I did a little video if she wanted.... offered to do it for free. She just laughed and said who wants to watch a video of their wedding. I agree. The only photo I have in my house is a photo of my wife and I when we got. Arrived in Thailand. I made a video of the wedding with 9 Buddhist Monks and the whole village, but have never watched again after I edited it. Would much rather look at the photos.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast