Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why is photography more popular than video?
    I always hear this argument that there are more photographers than video people. Hence the reason Canon, etc. tend to focus more on photography. Also the reason used to explain why anything labeled cine is more expensive by a magnitude.

It's not that i don't believe this claim, I certain do. But the question is, what is it about photography that makes it more popular?
    People spend hours marathoning Netflix, they go to cinemas, they watch various youtube videos, they play movies on their phones. But when is the last time a normal (non photo video) friend told you they went to a photo gallery or spent hours going through photos on a regular basis?

So what's the deal?

2. Collapse Details
    By and large, still photography is easier.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    By and large, still photography is easier.
    +1
    Easier to fake your way through it...capturing a moment in time rather than a series of sequences in motion. Of course there are geniuses in still photography (I don't even have to mention Ansel), but even the untrained eye can come up with a great still picture (sometimes by mistake). There now...that should open the flood gates.

4. Collapse Details
    No controversy there, it is much easier, simpler, quicker and cheaper to make bad to medium quality still images than bad to medium quality moving images. To make amazing images, true art, engaging, emotive, moving stills or video take a lot more skill, time, resources, perseverance, vision and imagination. I shoot both stills and motion and have done both for decades, two different yet related animals. Everyone is carrying a Smartphone in their pocket, that with some skill/luck, is capable of amazing still imagery. Can't really say the same with the video capabilities of everyone's phones, although with a lot of skill and other gear, smartphone video can look great. Also, still photo equipment has had a head start on digital video and cinema cameras, which really only became amazing over roughly the past five years. We have had pretty competent digitial still cameras for a couple of decades. At some point, with Millenials and the YouTube generation, fewer people will take or care about still images, all that will matter is video. We're not there yet but you can see it coming.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    And it's cheaper. You can certainly spend a lot on photography gear, but To be a medium or well equipped video pro you will spend more.

It's funny. My websites are for video. I promote video production and share videos. Yet I am almost always known and called a photographer by friends others though I never call myself that. And they ask if I will do photos for them.

6. Collapse Details
    Sorry. I didn't know Puredrifting posted a similar remark while I was still typing my comment on my phone.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Was having a conversation with a good friend the other day who is a photographer about whether or not photography is actually an art form. Video too for that matter.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I always hear this argument that there are more photographers than video people. Hence the reason Canon, etc. tend to focus more on photography. Also the reason used to explain why anything labeled cine is more expensive by a magnitude.

It's not that i don't believe this claim, I certain do. But the question is, what is it about photography that makes it more popular?
    1) One can make beautiful and artful photographs without a crew.
    2) No motion.
    3) No audio.
    4) Each frame can and indeed must stand by itself. Each frame (print) can be examined for as long as the viewer wants to look at it.

In short, photographs are easier to make than videos. And photos are easier to examine and view than videos.

Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    People spend hours marathoning Netflix, they go to cinemas, they watch various youtube videos, they play movies on their phones. But when is the last time a normal (non photo video) friend told you they went to a photo gallery or spent hours going through photos on a regular basis?
    Now you're confusing making videos with watching videos. Way more people go to the movies than ever consider making one. You're right, they'll watch them anywhere, but you won't see the vast majority of the consumers of video entertainment actually try to create a movie.

9. Collapse Details
    Because the chicks are better.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    It's not just easier (questionable). It's more versatile. Almost every situation lends itself well to stills. Video requires a plan, including processing it after. Photos can just be uploaded. And for people doing it artistically, you can get the same detailed study of a frame you can from a painting. Video is generally different, being about what's happening rather than what is. And with photos there's a chance someone might actually look at it, and enjoy doing so. Briefly.
    Last edited by Agafilm; 05-28-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast