Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Newbie question on wireless mic
    Question
    ok, I watched some videos about mics, read some articles. I need to shoot a concert which is help in a pretty big place. I got it that I need to connect the camera to a mixer board. But besides that, I have an idea to use Rode Stereo VideoMic X and to place it somewhere in the middle of the concert hall. But I don't think I can stay with the tripod and the camera at the same place. So the idea is to use this Newsshooter Kit to get the signal wirelessly. So, what do you guys think?

2. Collapse Details
    Yes and No.

Yes a wireless feed. Get it from the mixing desk.
    No don't use the Rode radio system. It is 2.4Ghz and you will be fighting against *every* wi-fi and blue tooth system in the area. Which is "everyone" with a smart phone/tablet or laptop. most younger people seem to have the bluetooth and wifi on as default.

Use something like a Sennheiser G3 kit https://www.proav.co.uk/sennheiser-e...reless-mic-set This works in a different frequency band and the G3's will pick a clear frequency.

For ambient or hall audio you could use a shotgun at the camera? Unless there is some one holding/guarding the remote mic in the hall it is not going to be there come the end of the gig. It isn't going to make that much difference to the recording compared to one a the camera.... Well it depends on the sort of concert it is. A classical chamber orchestra concert is not the same as an AD/CD gig :-)
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 05-14-2017 at 07:20 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Not to mention, you'll have a bit of delay between the sound from the speakers reaching the mic, bouncing around, etc.

4. Collapse Details
    Well, obviously I'll have someone guarding that mic. Sorry, I don't think I got the last part of your reply. So, using that stereo mic X is correct, right? I got that G3 wireless tech is better.

The concert is a children musical, so it's not hard Rock... Yet ��

5. Collapse Details
    If the intent of the stereo mic is to get a stereo recording of the concert, you shouldn't place it in the middle of the hall. It should be placed just behind the conductor, above their head.

How do you plan to record the stereo mics? Will that be on separate tracks from the mixer feed?
    If the house has mics set up with cables, why not just run more cables for the stereo mics?f

[edit] I think I may be misunderstanding your post. There is no house sound. The mixer is your mixer and you are recording just the stereo mics. Is that correct?

6. Collapse Details
    Ok, the plan is to use the stereo mic placed somewhere in the middle of the hall and connect it to channel 1 to dvx200. The other input is the mixer board IF it's available to me. Both of them should be connected wirelessly. Well, that's my idea. But I've never shot musicals nor concerts...

7. Collapse Details
    i have used a feed from a mixer to give the main audio. This can be hard wired or via radio (Sennheiser or similar NOT a 2.4GHZ type) Then a shotgun mounted on the camera for "room sound" and as a back up if the mixer feed fails. (this has happened to me)

Why are you going to use a stereo mic? The stereo will be created (if at all) by the mixing desk. I suspect, as in many (most?) concerts they don't output the sort of stereo you are thinking of. It is effectively the same mono signal to both left, right and other speakers. Certainly when a guitarist runs from one side of the stage to the other the sound doesn't "follow" them!

How many audio channels do you have? The DVX200 has 2 MONO channels. So your stereo mic on channel one is going to feed a mono signal to the camera.

8. Collapse Details
    That Rode Stereo mic sounds really great and captures perfectly the scene. According to the videos on YouTube.

As to mono... Damn, that's a problem. So I guess the only option is to use some external recorder. And the total price for the setup will he higher. Hm...

9. Collapse Details
    You can't take a feed from the mixer and the stereo mic and expect to get any sort of decent results. Do one or the other, but not both. If you don't know what the house is feeding you, ignore it and place the stereo mic at the edge of the front of the stage and feed that to the two channels of the camera.

As said, you can't get a stereo feed from the mic if you are only sending one channel of the camera. This then also leaves you with a mono feed from the mixer and mono from the stereo mic. What you get is the worst of both sources and probably some bad phasing interference. Just use the stereo mic. You will be pleased with the results if you place the mic properly. Don't mess with wireless unless you have at least a G3 and even then, it will be much cheaper and better to use cables. There's nothing worse than having dropouts or interference during the performance.

10. Collapse Details
    I don't think you should bother with an external recorder. Unless you know what you are getting from the house, and you really like what they are providing you, you are better off with just the stereo mic. If you like what the house is feeding you, then you don't need the stereo mic.

If you were to take a stereo feed from the house mixer, and combine that with your stereo recording, you will end up with phase cancellations. Combing the two in post will give you unknown results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast