Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Second defective jog dial in one year!
    Approx. 2 months after I got my DVX200 early in 2016 the jog dial suddenly became unresponsive and then failed altogether. Mercifully Panasonic in UK replaced it with a very rapid turn around but I never trusted that componenet fully from then on and avoided using it so far as possible. So the replacement dial hasn't actually done all that much work but last week it failed again in exactly the same way as the first and the camera is on its way to Panasonic again. Has anyone else been as unlucky? And is it true that they have brought out a new better specified part. I read sometime ago on this forum that the failure is due to internal cable assemblies fracturing in low temperatures. Has anyone found out any more about the jog dial problem?

2. Collapse Details
    "In low temperatures"? I bet lots of equipment can malfunction in severe temperatures, cold or hot. Even a sophisticated device as well-made as DVX200 is bound to have something break down on it for some reason or another. For my use, the exact opposite is true: I use my DVX200 in very high temperatures under a hot Texas sun and it's held up very well, including the jog wheel. I wonder if insulating the camera inside something like a WetSuit or Rain Cover would help...letting the camera warm up inside first before taking it outside.

ADDENDUM:

Check out the PortaBrace Polar Mitten Camera Case for DVX200. https://www.portabrace.com/pol-dvx200.html
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

3. Collapse Details
    Thing is my camera never has been in temperatures lower then 3 or 4 degrees celcius at the lowest and absolutely no severe temperatures at all. That explanation doesn't come from my experience but from Panasonic themselves and was quoted by a user on this forum who like others has experienced the same fault. I live in the fairly moderate climate of southern England. No Artic storms here and absolutely no need for "Polar Mittens". Take a look at this thread where others report the problem: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...new-discovered! I love my DVX200. It's a great camera but when the dial goes there are no work arounds to change shutter speed etc.
    Below is what Panasonic apparently gave as the explanation:

Symptom: Jog dial & button does not function at all, or not work smoothly.
    Cause:Printed pattern on the flat-cable in the dial part was disconnected by cracking, which may be notably happened in low ambient temperature of approximately 0C / 32F or lower.
    Remedy: Improved durability of the cable by employing more flexible material
    We can expect the new stock is already there with respective Panasonic SVC's so replacement time should be quick.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Marshwader; 05-11-2017 at 04:53 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Last edited by Design Media Consultants; 07-26-2017 at 06:24 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    I'd love to film you peeing on your camera to keep it warm. Sadly my DVX 200 is off to the repairers again with that pesky jog dial. But I could always use my little FZ2000, which mercifully doesn't have one. Name the date and the place! On a more serious note: I wish you both good luck with the dials on your cameras as many have failed for whatever reasons. Just take a look at the thread on this forum I have linked to in my post above and here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...new-discovered. Lets just hope that in the event that yours fails that your Panasonic repairers are as efficient as the ones in the UK who have a 5 day turn around and a loaner if they can't stick to that.
    Last time and to my amazement they did manage to return it within that time frame and I remain hopeful that they'll be just as helpful this time. Others elsewhere weren't so lucky
    Last edited by Marshwader; 05-12-2017 at 03:05 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    my jog dial broken again second time
    With my previous camera (AG-AC 160) it never happened in 5 years.
    This is development
    congratulation for Panasonic
    I'm out of the job again

7. Collapse Details
    My jog dial is fine so far. Because of all the bad news on it, I have adopted a use model that minimizes its use. You really don't have to use it that much...more touch screen.

8. Collapse Details
    That's the strategy, i.e using the touch screen as far as possible, I was trying to follow after the first dial went on my camera last year although for some functions, shutter, variable white balance headphone volumes ... there is no alternative to the blooming jog dial. So the replacement didn't see much action and still broke again just now. Luck of the draw, maybe? I really think they ought do a recall on these dials as this problem undermines confidence in their products. I am very seriously interested in the mystery cinema camera they teased at NAB 2017: http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/2...camera-at-nab/ hoping to use my extensive collection of Canon L lenses even if through an adapter on it. If it has another jog dial it would take a mighty leap of faith for me to assume that it would just be reliable this time ... .

9. Collapse Details
    The jog dial has started acting up - here in mild, temperate Kansas. I am not looking forward to having to ship it off to have it fixed.

10. Collapse Details
    Here in Texas we pee on our cameras because we're ornery.

But seriously, this is such a sad thing to hear about the jog wheel fizzing out as a design flaw. I'm old school so I wind up using that dial more than the touchscreen, but I'm also a soft touch so maybe that'll help? Or, maybe it's just a bad batch of cameras? It'd be nice if that were the case, but – Occam's razor – it really just sounds like a flaw. I guess it makes sense: it is a mechanical part of the camera, one that is on the outside and has to be man-handled...but, I really hope that THAT's where the mechanical issues end. There's a whole slew of potential mechanical design flaws and ticking time bombs INSIDE the camera (I'm talking the lens) that, if they were to malfunction, you effectively have a brick with a Panasonic label on it. It's a shame about the jog wheel, but hopefully that's the ONLY thing that malfunctions on these otherwise impressive, solid, and reliable tools.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast