Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Collapse Details
    Color grading central masterclass by Denver riddle - any thoughts? Experience?
    #1
    Senior Member blake2404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    244
    Default
    Just wondering if anyone has taken this or similar masterclass from color grading central and/or Denver riddle. Just wondering how beneficial it might be from a cost/benefit point of view.

    http://courses.colorgradingcentral.c...ng-masterclass
    Last edited by blake2404; 05-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West of the Pecos
    Posts
    2,237
    Default
    He has a one hour tutorial about grading on Youtube. Check it out and see what you think.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Default
    Looks interesting, as relative novice I too am wondering whether this course is worth the $225 or how reputable denver riddle/GCC courses are? How widely used?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by zsmiklosy View Post
    Looks interesting, as relative novice I too am wondering whether this course is worth the $225 or how reputable denver riddle/GCC courses are? How widely used?
    I'm taking his free webinar/course this Thursday at 2pm eastern time. Looking forward to it and will report back with my thoughts.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member blake2404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    244
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by unomas View Post
    I'm taking his free webinar/course this Thursday at 2pm eastern time. Looking forward to it and will report back with my thoughts.
    Thanks....Sounds like a plan. Couldn't pull the trigger on the paid premiere course, as I am considering other NLE's for a possible switch (resolve, avid, etc). I would love to hear
    about your experience though. The courses from Denver Riddle sound promising, free or otherwise. Just can't find much information on him. But would love to know your reaction.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by blake2404 View Post
    Thanks....Sounds like a plan. Couldn't pull the trigger on the paid premiere course, as I am considering other NLE's for a possible switch (resolve, avid, etc). I would love to hear
    about your experience though. The courses from Denver Riddle sound promising, free or otherwise. Just can't find much information on him. But would love to know your reaction.
    This course was for Davinci Resolve only, it wasn't for Premiere.

    I'm definitely no colorist; this was basically a one hour webinar with good information that pushed his course at the end. People do these courses in every genre it seems. The price for his course was $1,497 or $797 for the first 30 enrollees. You could also do a monthly payment plan of $77 for 12 months. The title of his course is "Color grading school". There were at least 12-15 purchases of the course when I was watching the webinar and about 180 webinar attendees.

    It seems color grading school is something different from the $225 course (maybe the Premiere course?). I asked that question in the side bar comment area but got no response. There's no doubt in my mind Denver Riddle is a great colorist, the question is do I want to pay $900+ on the payment plan for his course? I'm still thinking about it, but I'm shocked I'm even thinking about it at that price. I screen recorded the entire webinar and am watching it again to see if it's something I want to shell out that kind of money for.

    The total course length is about 10 hours of training broken up into 4 parts.
    Last edited by unomas; 05-25-2017 at 02:33 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    172
    Default
    Just buy the Alexis Van Hurkman book and save yourself a bunch of cash. The info is there. You just need to imbibe it. Then you practice. And you need natural ability, which no course can give you, no matter how high the price. Don't fall for sales tactics.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Member joema's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    53
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by blake2404 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has taken this or similar masterclass from color grading central and/or Denver riddle. Just wondering how beneficial it might be from a cost/benefit point of view....
    I have it and would recommend it. The class is vastly more detailed than his free on line tutorials. It is very well organized and you can either watch it on line or download it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    I have it and would recommend it. The class is vastly more detailed than his free on line tutorials. It is very well organized and you can either watch it on line or download it.
    I finally bit the bullet and bought Denver Riddle's DaVinci Resolve course. I'm about 25% of the way through and it's very good. Well worth the $$$ for anyone looking to really up their color game. I've learned an awful lot in just a few days and can't wait to finish the rest of the course. The current version is for Resolve 14, but I'm working through it in the Resolve 15 beta. The structure of the course is much better than trying to piece things together here and there on YouTube, there's also plenty of information in the course I haven't really seen touched up on YouTube. Well worth the $$$! If you haven't bought this course and really want to increase your skills in color buy the course.

    The only cons I've come across are you feel like he's speed reading through the videos, literally turbo speed. Also, sometimes what he's saying doesn't match up with what's happening on the screen with the mouse clicking and pointing. That, can be very confusing. A little more detail in his explanations of things would also be appreciated. Overall, very happy, the content is there, but his "teaching" style needs to be refined.
    Last edited by unomas; 06-12-2018 at 07:04 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •