1. Collapse Details
    D5100 with 54mbps hack
    So after checking out videos on YouTube of my camera with 36, 54, and 60-something mbps speeds I decided to try them myself.

I downloaded the 36mbps hack first and saw an improvement. I tried it out to see how stable it was and if there would be any problems. I had none.
    I next tried the 54mbps hack. At first there were a few times where it recorded 2 to 5 seconds and then had an error, but after the 4 or 5 times it happened it never happened again after I formatted the SD card. I only had the problem when trying it out with a card that already had stuff on it, shot at a lower bitrate. I don't know if that actually has an effect, but after formatting with the updated firmware for 54mbps I had no problems. I don't plan on using any higher bitrate as recording time is reduced from 20 to 10 minutes, and I don't want to go any shorter than that.

This weekend I was on a shoot for a feature film, using my camera. The footage looks incredible. It never looked this good with any lens before. I have to say I am a lot happier with my camera now.

I've not opened it up on my editing computer yet but on my daily laptop I can see the difference from everything I've shot before.

Does anyone else have experiences with the hacked firmware for this camera, or those like it? I have been using the hack to be able to change ISO and shutter speed in LiveView for a couple years now. That made the camera so much more a pleasure to use.

Steve

2. Collapse Details
    Any screenshots?

3. Collapse Details
    I have a D7000 and use the 64mbps hack; it's 100% stable, the only down side is that you cant play the videos back in camera. Higher bit rates help a lot if you do grading, or shoot with flat picture profiles like Cineflat or Flaat 11 or TassinFlat. I also have SD cards with with the 36mbps and 54mbps hacks, in case I need longer record times. At the lowest bit rate setting, you can record for 1 hr 15 min in 720P, or 50 min at the regular 720P bitrate.

4. Collapse Details
    I tried with my D7000 but couldn't get it working. Can you pls explain your procedure?

cheers

5. Collapse Details
    Here's a video that explains it. He has a D3200, but the steps are the same for the D7000.

6. Collapse Details
    Imamacuser, thanks for posting that video for doubledark.

Sorry to respond so late.

Zetkey, I'll get a couple screen grabs for you.

Steve

7. Collapse Details
    That would be nice. Because in those video they show file properties with bigger bitrate but I don't see any progress in color or details.