Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Maybe accurate light eg this Rayzr fixture is just not aesthetically pleasing.

My own tests showed tung/hmi fixtures to be well warm of true grey.. and they look lovely in real use

That may just be colour temp or maybe having true deep reds.

I use studio flash a lot and that is 'cold' too

This test strip shows some 'greys'

Maybe with 'true grey/blue' lights they can be aesthetically improved with addition of maybe small straw filtration or bouce of unbleached muslin (mr deakins) ?

Camera nikon D600 raw locked at 5500k 0tint.

L-R
    Dled
    Mole
    ChromaQ
    Filex
    Kino
    Redhead+ full CTB
    Joker

greycard.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    It's a really interesting test which really doesn't tally with personal experience in some cases. I guess that's the nature of quantitive tests!

So for example, i've an Area 48 and used the Cineo RP as well as the more standard flex panels and some cheaper LED lights

The A48 and Cineo are, to me eye both in real life and on camera leagues ahead in skin rendition - yet in this test i just didn't see that. Yet i'm quite sensitive to spikes, green skin, yellow skin and skin looking like it's been raised from the undead.

Part of me questions the post workflow. And also the very nature of that spectral response curve. Because some of the better looking lights seemed spikier than smoother curves (HMI is always a nice source) and some lights where the curves looked pretty similar looked quite different visually.

And the Hive C100 - i totally get that. I have some Sputnik DS1s on their way and again they've been criticised and in fact on the official TCLI tests they score low. But even to my eye these RGBW lights are not configured out of the box for the perfect test white. And i doubt anyone doing these tests is refining the settings to do that. On the TCLI score if i look at the chart i actually prefer the rendition of colours compared to tungsten. So frankly i'll go with my eye

Sams right on the deep red stuff. The Digital Cinema Society did a very in-depth and technical overview recently with talks from the designers. IMHO a better resource than this test - and deep red is a factor.

Also the Academy is pushing the idea of SSI score which is detached from a specific observer (the TCLI results are 'seen' through a virtual camera). Every single camera out there will again *see* these lights very differently in a lot of cases...

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Really?

I don't have experience with the sky panels but have heard they're still green, as if they've placed output and RGB at the top of their list.
    I've used the S60-C quite a bit, but don't think below 4500*, so maybe it flails at tungsten. Never noted any Green Spike, & have had to dial-in Plus Green to match the ambient daylight that was passing through two layers of windows.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    The Digital Cinema Society did a very in-depth and technical overview recently with talks from the designers. IMHO a better resource than this test - and deep red is a factor.
    Are these the overviews you referenced?

https://vimeopro.com/digitalcinemaso...-lighting-expo

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    Are these the overviews you referenced?

https://vimeopro.com/digitalcinemaso...-lighting-expo
    Yes, those are them. If you search for SSI at oscars.org you may find some information or in the past conversations on CML.

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123