Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Which Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 for the GH5?
    I've decided the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 will get a lot of use if added to my kit.

Before I make the purchase, I have a couple questions I can't find the answers to on the Internet that I'm hoping you can help me with.

1) What is the major operational difference between the Nikon and Canon versions of this lens on the GH5? I realize the Metabones adaptor is less expensive for the Nikon version of this lens, but there seems to be conflicting reports about whether or not the camera can control things like aperture or autofocus on the Canon version.

2) It appears the Nikon version will only allow manual focus and aperture focus on the metabones speed booster itself. If true, has anyone found
    the aperture ring on the booster troublesome? I don't mind full manual lens control, but I've never used a speed booster before.

3) Is there vignetting at the widest setting on either of these lenses on the GH5?

Thank you!

2. Collapse Details
    I have the Canon version and a Speedbooster, and the camera has full control over the electronics of the lens, aperture, auto focus, etc.

I have the "S" version of the Speedbooster, with a .71x magnification, and at the widest I get vignetting in 4:3 picture mode. It's better in 3:2, and is unnoticeable in 16x9 modes.

3. Collapse Details
    The Nikon version is all manual, but you make those adjustments on the lens. I personally went this route as:
    1. I prefer manual control
    2. I like the greater adaptability afforded by the Nikon mount
    3. I saved a few bucks

That said, the Canon mount is certainly the more popular choice.

4. Collapse Details
    I have the Nikon. I MUCH prefer fully manual control over iris when transitioning in panning shots. You can adjust very smoothly.

However, there have been times when I want to use some Canon L glass, especially stabilized lenses prior to the GH5 coming along with ibis. I have had more than one gig where a stabilized 70-200mm would have saved the day. Instead, I used my Tamron 70-200 with nikon booster on a monopod to get the shots. It was a compromise.

All of this is less of an issue with my 18-35mm. The question is: What other lenses will you use with it. If you need other EF lenses, then go that route. If not, the Joe12south's reasons for going Nikon are very sound.

5. Collapse Details
    The other advantage of the Nikon vs the Canon is that the users didn't have to wait for a firmware update to support a new camera due to the lack of auto features. Nikon never really has to worry about a new camera or lens since it is more or less a dummy mount. The Canon version has electronics built in (hence the extra cost) to make the auto features work. Sometimes those electronics don't match up well with new camera bodies like we saw when the GH5 first came out. It only took a few weeks for Metabones to update the firmware once the GH5 was released but this could be a pro point of the Nikon version.

We have no guarantee Metabones will always want to support their older products. This means if there are compatibility issues when the GH6 comes out maybe that time there will be no new firmware. Nikon is safer in that it will always likely work as long as Panasonic never leaves the m43 mount or Nikon stops making lenses for their current mount.

Not sure how realistic this concern is but it is something to think about.

6. Collapse Details
    ...and lastly:

The sigma 18-35mm Nikon version still focuses like a Canon lens (and almost every other lens) and NOT like a Nikon lens. I happen to like that. BUT, buying into the Nikon mount means that as you add other nikon mount lenses, you will have an 18-35 that focuses one direction and all of your other nikon mount lenses go the evil direction. I keep trying to convince myself that I can master both directions, but the fact is that I get it wrong all the time because muscle memory is muscle memory. It sucks to switch back and forth.

I'm glad we were collectively able to confuse matters for you worse than before you posted. ; )

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    If you get the EF mount speedbooster you can still get a Nikon-to-EF adapter and use it for Nikon lenses.

Personally, I like having the option for auto control. You can always switch to manual if the situation is right for it, but I find auto makes it faster to get a shot in what may be a fleeting moment.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    I have the Nikon. I MUCH prefer fully manual control over iris when transitioning in panning shots. You can adjust very smoothly.

However, there have been times when I want to use some Canon L glass, especially stabilized lenses prior to the GH5 coming along with ibis. I have had more than one gig where a stabilized 70-200mm would have saved the day. Instead, I used my Tamron 70-200 with nikon booster on a monopod to get the shots. It was a compromise.

All of this is less of an issue with my 18-35mm. The question is: What other lenses will you use with it. If you need other EF lenses, then go that route. If not, the Joe12south's reasons for going Nikon are very sound.

Wow. I was leaning toward the Canon route prior to this post and am now thinking Nikon is the way to go. For clarification...can you switch the Canon to manual aperature/focus control on the lens or is auto the only option?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianscreations View Post
    Wow. I was leaning toward the Canon route prior to this post and am now thinking Nikon is the way to go. For clarification...can you switch the Canon to manual aperature/focus control on the lens or is auto the only option?
    It works just like any other lens you stick on the camera as far as auto vs. manual. If you have auto focus set on the camera, then you'll get auto focus. Manual, and you'll get manual. Same for aperture.

10. Collapse Details
    The canon version will properly talk to the camera for the IBIS and you won't have to manually enter the zoom position for IBIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast