Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 w/ MB Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35 vs A7sii w/ Canon 35mm 1.4 Lowlight
    I was suprised on how the GH5 performed at 1600. Make sure to check out the downloadable footage to grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5VpMJR6BQ

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by theillestmc12 View Post
    I was suprised on how the GH5 performed at 1600. Make sure to check out the downloadable footage to grade.
    ...Not a fan of the lens flare from the SpeedBoosted Sigma 18-35mm lens. I think it significantly degrades the quality of the image. ( especially the last shot with the row of street-lights )

I would love to see this test done with a native m4/3 lens like the PanaLeica 12mm f/1.4 or the Voightlander 17.5mm f/0.95 lens.

3. Collapse Details
    Or a Veydra lens.

4. Collapse Details
    Much better test than most but a few things I think would make it better:

Sony Slog 1600 ISO is native. GH5 vlog 1600 is not. While ISOs are same, it's not an equivalent test as GH5 above native ISO in vlog is poor. In addition, there's really no benefit to shooting vlog in any of the scenes shown here, or anytime shooting lowlight high ISO. As such any cinematographer would switch off to something like CineD.

As such, it would be helpful to see this done w/GH5 in CineD @ 1600 ISO. A7S could be left in slog since that's native, or could be moved to a picture profile in addition for a comparison.

Agree the lens flare looks worse on the GH5. Not sure if that's the Sigma or the GH5's handling of light sources at higher ISO, because another test exhibited this on the GH5 as well and I am pretty sure they weren't both using the Sigma.

All in all this was helpful. I appreciate seeing it with the lens setup they did on the GH5 as that is what you would use real world when trying to get good lowlight. I'd also be curious to see GH5 just set to 1.4 to match the Sony as well.

Regarding see it with a native lens, sure, that'd be cool too. I don't think it's detrimental to see it with a good speedbooster lens as this is a great and relevant test. Of course I use all voigtlanders, so seeing it with a native 17.5 voigt would be awesome.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    ...Not a fan of the lens flare from the SpeedBoosted Sigma 18-35mm lens. I think it significantly degrades the quality of the image. ( especially the last shot with the row of street-lights )

I would love to see this test done with a native m4/3 lens like the PanaLeica 12mm f/1.4 or the Voightlander 17.5mm f/0.95 lens.
    Haven't used Voightlander's 17mm, but do own their 25mm, & wide-open it blooms streetlights in a similar manner as the Sigma 18-35mm/SpeedBooster combo. Like you I'm not a fan of the look.

While out-of-town recently I got an additional assignment for a series of photographs, & instead of shipping my 5D(s) + lenses from LA I opted to buy the Leica branded Panasonic 42.5/1.2, & 12/1.4. I already owned the other PanaLeica primes, but these two new lenses have really raised the bar, & make the others feel like toys. I'll keep using the older PanaLeica's as they are some of the finest m4/3 optics, but now hope these get updated to be more inline with the 12/1.4, & 42.5/1.2.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 04-20-2017 at 09:33 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Bern, any samples?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Bern, any samples?
    Only just got the lenses & so far mostly used them on jobs I'm not at liberty to share.

Even though I'll likely use the PanaLeicas primarily for stills, or filming in lower light, I ordered a set of ProNDs, & Xumes, in both 67mm, & 62mm, that should be arriving tomorrow, so hope to be running informal tests soon.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 04-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    OI ordered a set of ProNDs, & Xumes, in both 67mm, & 62mm, that should be arriving tomorrow, so hope to be running informal tests soon.
    awesome! look forward to it

just out of curiosity, why 2 sets instead of 1 set @ 67mm with a 62-67 stepup ring?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Or a Veydra lens.

They're not fast enough. Shame, that.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    awesome! look forward to it

just out of curiosity, why 2 sets instead of 1 set @ 67mm with a 62-67 stepup ring?
    I think he's talking about 2x xume adapters - one for each lens. Then you can step up and use the single 67mm filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast