Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member StrobelPhotography's Avatar
    Nice. I called bh and location sound today. I'm on both lists haha. bh said they're expecting theirs in early june and location sound said they're getting some on monday but don't know how many. The list at LS is 19 deep for the 6's and 16 deep for the 3's. I was surprised that so man 3's were ordered. Anyway I'm hoping that some people bail off the list so I can get one.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by StrobelPhotography View Post
    The list at LS is 19 deep for the 6's and 16 deep for the 3's. I was surprised that so man 3's were ordered. Anyway I'm hoping that some people bail off the list so I can get one.
    I'm surprised too, I just don't see the appeal in the MixPre3 when the MixPre6 only costs a little bit more.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    I'm surprised too, I just don't see the appeal in the MixPre3 when the MixPre6 only costs a little bit more.
    I personally find the MixPre3 better sized for camera rigs.

4. Collapse Details
    I think there are a lot of OMB shooters who still use the small handheld recorder for audio (2 channel Tascams, zooms), and the under-the-camera recorders like the tascam 60d and 70d. For those people, stepping up to $650 is very different than $900, and they probably don't need the extra analog in and other features.

For those that are already using higher end recorders and want a new backup, or are at least using Zoom f4/f8, then yes, the Mixpre6 is a no-brainer. SD were very smart to offer both. I think they studied the market very carefully on this one.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Well, $250 is not "a little bit" for everybody...
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7s | Odyssey 7Q+
    Sony SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    MacBook Pro Retina 2.6/16/256 | macOS Sierra | FCPX | LPX

6. Collapse Details
    Perhaps SD MixPre 3/6 and Zoom F4/F8 have never been aimed at the Pro market at all, the sale of these recorders / mixers will outsell 'Full Pro level' setups probably 100:1.
    There are a LOT more sub pro users out there than pro users.
    And as a maker of anything wouldn't you aim your product at maximum sales?.......

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
    Perhaps SD MixPre 3/6 and Zoom F4/F8 have never been aimed at the Pro market at all, the sale of these recorders / mixers will outsell 'Full Pro level' setups probably 100:1.
    There are a LOT more sub pro users out there than pro users.
    And as a maker of anything wouldn't you aim your product at maximum sales?.......
    That's why half the planet owns an iPhone, and it's been four years since Apple gave us a new Mac Pro.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a question about the mixpre3's aux/mic in. Overviews say that the device records 5 channels, 3 ISO's and a 2 channel mixdown of the three inputs. How does the 1/8" aux/mic input factor into that? I know it can be used for TC input, but as an aux mic input, how is it being routed and controlled for the mix?

The overviews of the Mixpre6 are described where the aux input can be separately recorded as its own track, along with the four analog inputs and the 2 track mixdown for a total of eight tracks. . If that can't be done with the Mixpre3, then why is there an aux/mic input at all on that device?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678