Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    The FDR-AX1 and PXW-Z100 are over 4 years old so likely 5 or 6 year old technology. I do not expect anymore updates of firmware for either the last update was in 2015. Their focus at the time was the ability to shoot UHD at 60P something the AX33 or AX53 cannot do now. To get UHD 60P the options are still not large. Panasonic UX180/HC-X1, DVX200, now GH5 then things get more expensive with FS7, URSA Mini etc and more expensive. The FDR-AX1 and PXW-Z100 use XQD cards to record data rates of 150Mbps and more. At the time ( 5 years ago ) SD cards were not fast enough for the higher data rates of the PXW-Z100. Technology has changed a lot in 5 years. I have the AX53 and use for HD only as I do not like the slower frame rates and shoot 60P on all my cameras. Dual recording on AX53 is only available at 30P.

2. Collapse Details
    I just got my Sony Z100 in the mail. I can confirm that:

• The Z100 CAN record AVCHD to an SD card.
    • The Z100 CANNOT record AVCHD to an XQD card - the card slot automatically switches to "C" (the SD slot) when the AVCHD codec is selected, and the other slots become greyed out.
    • The Z100 CANNOT record both 4K and AVCHD at the same time.

3. Collapse Details
    I am still puzzled as to why AVCHD was offered at all on these cameras. The only reason I got the FDR-AX1 was for UHD 60P. It will of course record 1920x1080 to the XQD cards with XAVC-S just like the current run of Sony camcorders. I will be interested in how you find the focusing as my FDR-AX1 had its lens replaced and still has difficulty with focus as the lens is not parfocal and does a pretty poor job of repeating the focus point after any zoom motion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12