Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looks very, very similar to what happens when I shoot with the blackmagic pocket under tungsten lights.

CaptainHook made a lut to help deal with IR contamination after the fact. Much better to prevent at from the get go, but I have found it handy.
    Not sure if it'd translate to the varicam as it was designed for blackmagic cameras.

http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackma...ma-camera-lut/

2. Collapse Details
    Hey team,

First post on DVXuser here - I finally got approved, but I've been reading this forum for the past few months and I'm glad that this discussion has come up.

I tested the LT and was impressed with the build, IQ, motion cadence but not so much the reboots, poor slow mo IQ and the IR POLLUTION!

Mind you I only had half a day playing with it at a rental house (demo unit). Shot indoors and outdoors with a cooke s4 mini set.

Everything outdoors in full sunlight was just red/magenta/brown/purple lookin'. The subject's black shirt was purple. Skin tones very red. Mind you, I shot everything wide open using the heaviest internal nd density.

LT_V709.jpg
    This is just with the vlog lut.

LT_V709_BALANCED.jpg
    vlog lut with green correction. To me the background and skin are kind of acceptable, but his shirt is not.

LT_709_FLUOROS.jpg
    This is indoors under a daylight fluorescent light. More true colours here. (how intense are those blues in the BG though!?)

I'd buy this camera, to me its image texture, cadence and dynamic range is very arri (organic and filmic as opposed to digital like) - but panasonic needs to look into possibly providing a better IR cut filter. I'm going to do some testing in the next couple weeks with an external IR cut filter because I want this camera to succeed.

Al
    Last edited by alexjpg; 05-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I encountered an issue with IR while shooting in sunlight today. I guess I need to buy an IR cut filter, but would prefer if Panasonic could make one that could be placed internally.

4. Collapse Details
    I've just ordered a Zeiss LWZ2 15.5-45 zoom lens and will get a mattebox for it. Probably something light, like a BT Misfit Atom 2 or similar. I'll need to get an IR-cut filter too. Any recommendations?

5. Collapse Details
    I can't recommend any matte box filters, I'm still using the screw-on Hoya that I mentioned earlier in the thread. I use it all the time now...I *think* it's causing a bit of a green tint in some outdoor situations, but other then that seems to be working fine. Haven't noticed any weird skin tone issues. I should really test it under various ND strengths but I've been traveling a ton and haven't had a day to just sit and study it with a color chart/model.

We haven't heard back from Mitch/Panasonic on this yet, have we? They were looking into it, but never came back with any kind of information on what we're dealing with and if there's a potential internal solution in the works. Would love to get an update, if possible.

6. Collapse Details
    Not as far as I know. I agree, it would be nice to hear if there's an internal IR-filter solution planned. I'd much rather have that than a filter glass in the matte box.

7. Collapse Details
    Our tests found that 99% of the color shifts could be addressed in modest color correction, including basic CDL painting in the camera. Additional IR blocking would alter skin tones. With our testing it was determined that the current IR filtration remains our standard.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic Media Entertainment Corporation

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjpg View Post
    poor slow mo IQ
    Did you shoot 2K 240 fps RAW with an Odyssey7Q+ for your slow-motion IQ tests ?

I thought Matthew Allard's 2K 240 fps RAW tests looked great...

9. Collapse Details
    A good old manual white balance in every scene combined with Vlook1 have given us beautiful results every time so far.

10. Collapse Details
    Im going to add this note here again. I did a whole range of tests with the LT and IR pollution. I found that only certain materials displayed it and only those that were a Red / Black base dye. Duvetyn for example never has it under any conditions. I've found it easier to change shirts wherever possible as it's usually the only time it shows up, and in the one instance I couldn't because shirt had a logo I was able to grade it out with a colour picker using luminance (was pretty static shot), which on test was pretty straight forward in FCPX and resolve.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

ECHOES DOCUMENTARY - PURCHASE ON VIMEO ON DEMAND - ALL FUNDS GO TO THE CITY OF RIKUZENTAKAKA TO HELP CONTINUE THE REBUILD. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/echoesdocumentary

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast