1. Collapse Details
    Lens Cap in place of Lens Cover
    Hi All,

Anyone knows a lens cap with a shallow profile to replace Lens Cover of DVX200?

Thanks.

James Duke
    www.lifestorypictures.com

2. Collapse Details
    A regular 72mm lens cap should work fine if you're replacing the lens hood. If you're keeping the lens hood, the space between the front element and the back of the shudders is enough for at least one Hoya Slim Frame filter...I seem to remember it also taking an additional filter and still closing. A lens cap is not much thicker than a regular circular filter, so I'd say you can just get a generic one. I'll see if I can fit one of my Canon ones in there AND keep the shudder function of the lens hood. You used the word "replace" so I'm assuming you do not wish to use, or can not use the lens hood to protect the front element.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jason.

As you know, this lens has a bayonet connector. Is this type of a connector standard as long as one specifies 72mm? Or do you mean a cap with a "out" thread
    for the lens with the "in" thread? How does one look for this kind of a cap? I have only seen the caps with the "in" thread.

James Duke

4. Collapse Details
    You're talking about one of these, right?

Lens cap:

Sensei_lc77_77mm_Center_Pinch_Snap_On_806450.jpg

Lens cap inside petal lens hood:

8349354_ra.jpg

If so, all you need is a lens cap, like the ones pictured, with a diameter of 72mm as that is the diameter of DVX200's lens' filter receptacle. Photographic lens caps are designed to fit onto the filter receptacle of a lens, so all you need to know is the filter receptacle diameter of the lens and place a lens cap that has the same number. In this case, that number is 72mm.

If you mean you wish to replace the lens hood that came with the DVX200...this:

s-l300.jpg

...then, no, there is no lens hood built specifically to be a slimmer alternative to the DVX200's stock hood compatible with the camera's bayonet mount right now that I am aware of or could find in a quick Google search.

There are, however, lots of photographic lens hoods which work with circular filter threads that would have a smaller profile than the stock one. Some of them are hard plastic like this:

s-l225.jpg

...which works by screwing an adapter ring (called a "donut") onto the lens like you would any circular photographic filter, then the hood attaches to the adapter.

Others, like the round rubber ones, simply screw in as one piece with the adapter ring. Either type will usually have a filter receptacle so you can continue to stack filters past the ring of the hood. Simply place a lens cap of the appropriate diameter to protect the investments.

There are also slim matteboxes, but, because they are matteboxes, even a slim one will be about the same size as the DVX200's OEM's lens hood. A mattebox that doesn't have wings, eyebrows, or the native ability to use mattes (filters in trays), is called a sunshade. Matteboxes/sunshades are basically complicated lens hoods. Some of these are clamp-on, meaning you screw in a donut like you would a filter, and then the mattebox clamps onto the donut. Others are, of course, mounted via rods like you would see on a movie camera. If you were to be interested in going in the direction of a mattebox/sunshade, I would recommend looking at Bright Tangerine's Misfit Atom. I would suggest the Clamp Kit with the 114-72mm donut. It is much more slim than the stock hood, allows square filters, and is very well built. I have a Genustech Wide Mattebox with 82mm and 77mm donuts that I use with appropriate step-up rings to adapt to whatever lens or camera I'm using. It's great but it's the same size as the DVX200's hood. Misfit Atom is thinner as it was designed for gimbal (hand-held or drone) use.

You still would need a 72mm lens cap, though.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Jason Thanks.

You have been a great help.
    Your write up helped me understand my options.
    I have ordered a Lens cap. I am sure it will work.

Thanks again.

James Duke